Satrix Head of Portfolio Management
Who are we?
Satrix is a focused and autonomous business unit which is owned by Sanlam. Operating within the scale of the broader Sanlam Group ensures security, sound governance and operational excellence.
Sanlam Investments is one of South Africa’s largest investment management companies, offering a comprehensive range of client-focused investment solutions to end-investors, intermediaries and larger institutions. Our comprehensive investment offerings include both passively and actively managed unit trusts, hedge funds and segregated and pooled retirement funds along the asset class and risk/return spectrum.
We offer a wide range of investment and financial planning solutions to protect and grow your long-term wealth.
Why join Satrix?
We are the leading provider of index-tracking investment products in South Africa, with over R130 billion in assets under management invested in our range of segregated mandates, exchange traded funds (ETFs) and unit trusts.
Satrix pioneered index investing in South Africa, launching our flagship Satrix 40 ETF as the first locally listed ETF in Nov 2000.
The Satrix team has proven expertise in risk management, quantitative portfolio analysis and index construction. Our experience has given us a deep understanding of how indexing can be part of creating a customised solution, allowing us to partner with our institutional clients to achieve their desired investment outcomes.
We value our innovative and entrepreneurial culture which has led us to partner with a leading fintech company to enable access to all. We are committed to financial inclusion and democratising investing and this echoes through almost everything we do.
What will you do?
You will take ownership of portfolios and lead the portfolio management team and investment process to ensure timely implementation of client, market and benchmark-initiated events to ensure mandates are implemented efficiently and effectively. Through the proactive review of portfolio implementation, performance and assessing risks as our business continues to grow and evolve, you’ll drive ongoing improvements and further business efficiency. By conducting yourself with the highest degree of integrity, you will ensure clients receive exceptional service and are treated fairly throughout their relationship with the business. Through research and remaining abreast of trends, you’ll meaningfully contribute to Satrix’s product development initiatives to ensure it remains the market leader.
Key responsibilities include:
- Portfolio Management
- Client Engagement
- Research & Analysis
- Risk Management
What will make you successful in this role?
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated innovator
- Investment experience
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree (Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Business Science / Bachelor of Science)
- Registered FAIS Category II Representative for Advice & Intermediary Services
- 6-10 years portfolio management experience
- Honours level degree
- Degree with an investment or quantitative specialisation
- CFA Charterholder (or studying towards CFA designation) preferred
Knowledge & Skills
- Proficient in calculating and interpreting portfolio performance and attribution
- Excellent understanding of investments and investment operations
- Experience with portfolio risk management and data providers’ applications and API’s – e.g. Bloomberg, Eikon, MSCI Barra, etc.
- Expert level of proficiency in MS Excel
- Proficient in MS PowerPoint & MS Word
- Accomplished in writing commentary, reports and articles
- Programming experience preferable
- Fundamental experience preferable
- Business insight – applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organisation’s goals
- Financial acumen – interpreting and applying understanding of financial indicators to make better business decisions
- Decision quality – making good and timely decisions that keep the organisation moving forward
- Action orientated – taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm
- Communicates Effectively – developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of audiences
- Attention to Detail – high degree of accuracy of meticulousness when approaching work
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organisation to be successful
- Client focus – building strong client relationships and delivering client centric solutions
- Drives results – consistently seizing opportunities and achieving results even under tough circumstances
- Collaborates – building partnerships and working collaboratively and inclusively with others to meet shared objectives
- Being Resilient – rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations