Senior Research Analyst
Mesirow is an independent, employee-owned firm founded in 1937. As specialists in investment, risk management and advisory services, we are committed to helping our institutional, corporate, and individual clients achieve their objectives. We are proud of Mesirow’s culture of fostering team member engagement, entrepreneurship, and empowerment. Our positive culture, volunteerism, and opportunity for advancement makes Mesirow one of the few employers to be included in both Chicago Tribune’s Top Places to Work and Crain’s Best Places to Work in Chicago.
A Chicago-based financial services firm with over $25 billion in assets under management for institutional clients is interested in adding an investment professional to its equity investment strategies.
- Analyze industry and company fundamentals within assigned industries and sectors.
- Monitor and assess industry and company weightings within the portfolio for assigned industries and sectors.
- Frequently screen coverage universe to create an opportunity set of investable candidates.
- Assess and determine the value and return potential of current and proposed holdings.
- Presentation (written and verbal) of investment recommendations for potential inclusion into portfolios.
- Make recommendations to eliminate current investment and/or reallocate investment resources to other alternatives within the respective coverage area.
- Attendance of company and broker-sponsored meetings and conferences.
- Interview company managements to assess the potential of investment opportunities.
- Actively follow 20-40 securities with secondary coverage of additional names.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
- In addition, the position may involve presentations to clients, consultants, and prospects to help communicate the firm’s investment philosophy, investment process, and portfolio results.
- The ideal candidate will have over ten years of fundamental research experience and possess an MBA and/or CFA designation.
- Prior portfolio management and/or research leadership experience will be considered.
- Previous experience and specialization analyzing and managing the Healthcare sector with a demonstrated record of success is required.
- Incremental experience covering Consumer Discretionary, Technology and/or Energy sectors with a demonstrated record of success is beneficial.
- Knowledge of the small and SMID cap equity universe and the ability to identify strong potential investment candidates is essential.
- Experience in other sectors in addition to the aforementioned is a positive.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written are necessary.
- The ability and desire to work in an entrepreneurial atmosphere with a team-oriented philosophy is critical as well.