Senior Manager, Investment Risk
Schwab Asset Management Solutions (SAMS) is the asset management arm of the Charles Schwab Corporation, and has over $600 billion under management in mutual funds and ETFs. Products managed include a wide variety of active and indexed equity, fixed income, and asset allocation strategies, as well as money markets funds. SAMS uses a consistent and disciplined approach to investing across all our products and seeks to develop innovative new products to meet the core investing needs of our clients.
The Sr. Manager will be a key member of a dedicated Investment Risk Management team and will work closely with portfolio managers and other analysts in monitoring the firm’s overall risk exposures. This work requires in-depth knowledge of theoretical and practical asset management, risk modeling, and portfolio construction. The person will play a significant role in the risk management of passive and active investment strategies for a wide spectrum of equity, fixed income, and multi-asset applications. The role requires a talented and successful professional with strong quantitative and communication skills to partner closely with the investment team at SAMS while liaising regularly with other business lines. This is an individual contributor and not a management role.
What you are good at
- Responsible for identifying, critically analyzing, and communicating market and non-market risks to investment professionals and to senior management.
- Conduct detailed independent assessments of investment strategies.
- Contribute to the operational running, maintenance and upgrade of department risk analytics and reporting.
- Take an active role in the portfolio risk budgeting process and recommend changes to positioning or processes when necessary.
- Performing ad-hoc analyses and reporting to address evolving market conditions and portfolio developments.
- Contribute to SAMS’ multi-faceted Investment Risk Management Team by applying your own unique education and problem-solving experience.
What you have
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of active quantitative investment management experience on the buy side.
- Experience using risk models (Aladdin/ MSCI MAC/ Barra/ Axioma), Portfolio Optimizers (Barra One/Axioma), and general market analytical tools (FactSet/ Bloomberg/ Aladdin/ BarraOne).
- Experience with coding with tools like R and Python and the ability to work programmatically with databases is required.
- Ability to integrate internally developed analytics with third-party vendor solutions.
- Familiarity with current industry practices and relevant academic research about risk management and portfolio construction.
- Sufficient depth of experience to interact effectively with portfolio managers via meetings, presentations, and written reports.
- Superior communication skills: Ability to explain quantitative concepts to a nontechnical audience.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required. An advanced degree in a quantitative discipline is strongly preferred.
NOTE: This role is unable to provide sponsorship for a U.S. work visa at this time.