Equity Research Associate
About Sands Capital
Sands Capital is an independent, employee-owned investment management firm based in Arlington, Virginia that manages multiple billions of dollars in client assets. Sands Capital’s strategies employ a fundamental, bottom-up research process to identify high-quality growth businesses that we can own for the long term in concentrated portfolios. We invest on a global basis across the life cycle from early-stage private businesses to leading public companies.
Identified below are Core Values the firm holds in high regard and believes are critical for high-performing teams at Sands Capital:
- Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
- Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
- Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
About the Research Associate (RA) Role
You will work as an apprentice for an experienced Life Sciences Analyst and in close partnership with our broader life sciences team to support research on new investment ideas and existing investments across our domestic, global, and international portfolios in public and private markets.
The primary area of focus will be conducting research on innovative growth companies across the global medical technology space, including medical devices, genomics, diagnostics, and digital health. As part of the research process, you will have the opportunity to meet with C-suite executives from leading companies, interview doctors and industry experts, and increasingly attend medical/investor conferences and join diligence trips to company offices. You will also join the investment decision making process with portfolio managers, and the RA who excels in the role will take on greater responsibility for planning and executing research projects and contributing to decision making.
The RA is typically expected to work for 2-4 years before either leaving for external opportunities or being considered for internal promotion based on performance and firm needs.
Coordinate research activities with your managing analyst including:
- Actively conducting deep primary diligence relevant to investment opportunities and staying current on relevant secondary diligence/reading
- Analyzing relevant medical data and scientific journal articles
- Preparing questions for meetings with management teams, experts, and doctors
- Creating and maintaining financial models that support the investment decision process
- Crafting well-informed and succinct written research for portfolio decision makers
- Preparing presentations to support bringing new ideas to the portfolio
- Over time, suggesting potential investment ideas and leading meetings with doctors, experts, and management teams
- Mentoring junior teammates
- Exhibit behaviors consistent with Sands Capital’s mission, values, and culture
Skills and Qualifications
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering, Bioengineering, Statistics or other relevant major. Strong academic performance.
- A genuine and demonstrable interest in investing, preferably with 2-5 years of experience analyzing businesses from prior work experience, academic experience, or personal interest
- A genuine and demonstrable interest in healthcare, including classes taken, volunteering, an informed experience, or books read
- An extremely curious and proactive approach
- A growth mindset that seeks constructive feedback
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team, while also being able to work independently with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Prior knowledge of medical technology and/or genomics a plus
- Interest in pursuing a CFA
How to Apply
To be considered, candidates must submit a resume that specifically outlines your qualifications for the position. If you wish to apply for this position, please do so via Sands Capital Management’s Careers page at http://sandscapital.com/careers/.
Sands Capital is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and staff members. For our staff members, equal opportunity includes access to the benefits and privileges that the firm provides to staff members generally. We appreciate the value diversity brings to Sands Capital and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff members.
We evaluate and select qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Discrimination of this kind is also strictly prohibited by a variety of federal, state, and local laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.