If you're passionate about making an impact, thrive in a fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial environment and want to make a difference, then we're looking for you! When you join our team, you’re joining an organization with deep roots, big ideas, and a commitment to building a more sustainable and inclusive world for all.
Akira Impact is an essential assets investment firm working to build a more sustainable and inclusive world for all. We source, structure and manage investments in renewable energy, water and waste water, alongside platforms to support EDI acceleration. Akira’s principals have raised and deployed upwards of $1B in energy investments in Canada and the United States. Akira takes a responsible approach to investing capital to support the UN Sustainable Development Goals 5, 6, 7 and 12 and is a signatory to the United Nations-supported Principles of Responsible Investing.
Examples of Akira’s portfolio companies include Green Impact Partners Inc. (TSX.V:GIP), a sustainability infrastructure company that was recently taken public and Northbase Finance Inc., an asset-backed lending platform.
Akira has also invested in and is advancing a social impact fintech company, ESG Financial Corp (www.joinesg.com), whose mission is to create a more sustainable, equal and just world for all by demonstrating that where you put your money matters, ESG Financial is changing how money flows to materially promote accessible social activism and financial empowerment. This is the first digital bank of its kind that aligns retail banking capabilities, business activities, investments and credit products to ESG values and principles. ESG Financial is a values-based company that seeks to disrupt and accelerate change in the financial industry through a comprehensive suite of products and services focused on the development of a sustainable economy.
This role will be an integral component to the growth of this company - exposing you to all facets of transaction work, with increasing responsibility as capability is demonstrated.
Investment Associate (“IA”):
The Investment Associate (“IA”) position will play a key role in the origination, evaluation, structuring and ongoing management of investments in North America, with focus in renewable energy, water, wastewater and EDI platforms. Investments will be across the capital stack and will be predominantly in senior debt positions but may also be structured as hybrid debt or equity. The IA will support the business development team in drafting investment committee and underwriting presentations, building and maintaining economic models, as well as participate in the negotiation of documents. The IA will be a key touch point for client presentations, confidential information memorandums, along with ad-hoc questions from partners and lenders. A great IA will be someone who is driven to succeed and has a passion for investing, finance, and deal structuring with a great attitude and is mission aligned. The successful candidate will be a team player who is confident to bring their contributions to the table and raise thoughts arounds key issues as they arise. The IA will work to always find a solution that is favorable to all parties with the support of the team. Reporting to the CEO, this hire will have a direct influence on our investments, growth, and our bottom line.
- Source, structure, and diligence investment opportunities across the capital stack with a focus on senior structured credit
- Support business development in the identification and analysis of investment opportunities, including risk analysis, deal structuring, pricing, negotiation and presentation
- Develop and oversee ongoing, timely completion of regular reporting for senior levels of management, including but not limited to: commercial investments dashboard and KPI/KRI reporting
- Draft investment committee and underwriting memos
- Manage, monitor and support ongoing investments, including reporting
- Help coordinate between all functional groups to perform investment evaluations
- Build and maintain financial models
- Ensure business strategies, plans and initiatives are supported in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures
- Execute competitive analysis and research into business trends, economic, technological, social, legal and political conditions and factors affecting investment risk
- Assist with company initiatives, as needed.
- Strong academic background, including a Bachelor’s degree with a focus in Business, Finance, Accounting Economics, or Engineering (if Engineering, CFA designation is preferred)
- Minimum 2 years work experience in investment banking
- Advanced financial modeling abilities, as well as superior written and presentation skills
- Knowledge of the power & utilities industry will be considered an asset
- Enrollment in or completion of the CFA or MBA programs will be considered an asset
- Highly motivated individual capable of navigating an ever changing corporate and business environment, with an ability to complete tasks with minimal direction
- Critical attention to detail and an ability to effectively balance big-picture strategic work with execution
- Self-starter with clear demonstrated ownership of projects and acting like owner, including going above and beyond and delivering results
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills with the combination of strong communication skills (oral & written)
- Support and model Akira Mission and Values daily in internal and external interactions.
This may be a remote position. We are open to candidates in either Canada or the United States.
The Fine Print:
Akira is an equal opportunity employer. We honor inclusivity, diversity of thought and curiosity. If you are inspired by what you’ve read, we encourage you to apply!
If you have questions on the role or require accommodation through the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your resume with a brief cover letter to email@example.com by July 16, 2021.