Investment Counselor - Toronto office
KERR FINANCIAL GROUP
Investment Counsellor – Toronto, Ontario
Kerr Financial is looking for an experienced investment management professional to join our team in Toronto with a focus on maintaining and growing our base of high-net-worth clients. The individual will be dedicated to working in a client-centric model with a focus on fiduciary duty to our clients and will be a self-motivated, disciplined individual joining a high performing team environment.
For over 40 years, Kerr Financial has been providing integrated wealth management services to high-net-worth families in Canada. We combine the services of our investment management team with accounting, tax and estate planning to support families with all of the wealth management services they need to optimize their financial resources. We prepare an overall portfolio strategy and investment policy statement for our client families. In implementing the policy, we take a multi-manager investment approach, working with an approved list of select investment managers in Canada and internationally. The unique elements of our investment offering include our multi-manager portfolio approach and integrated delivery of tax, planning, and investment services. Through Kerr Financial Advisors Inc., we focus on clients with liquid assets up to $20 million. We also have a separate division, Kerr Family Office, which provides full multifamily office services for families with wealth ranging from $20 to $200 million in assets under management.
The Investment Counsellor will possess excellent relationship management and oral and written presentation and communication skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy. The individual will have experience growing assets under management by consolidating assets from existing clients, referrals for new clients and other internal / external partners and centers of influence and will be an active member of our Investment Committee.
The investment counsellor will maintain a range of responsibilities:
- Cultivate and maintain deep relationships with clients to have a clear understanding of their objectives and risk tolerance levels. Maintain regular and direct communication with existing clients with respect to their portfolios, investment-manager strategies, capital markets and performance including approval of quarterly reports. Ensure client satisfaction and retention.
- Recommend an appropriate asset mix and investment policy for clients and construct portfolios to implement the recommended policy in line with client needs and with market conditions. Be attentive to tax effectiveness and planning in terms of allocating the family asset mix to various family accounts and entities.
- Manage portfolios in line with the approved policy using approved investment strategies from traditional and alternative managers and our proprietary multi manager pooled funds, where appropriate.
- Work well with other Kerr professionals (Financial Planners, Accountants, Estate and Tax) to provide integrated client service and to support their client relationships.
- Grow assets under management by deepening relationships with existing clients to increase their own assets managed by Kerr and by cultivating referrals from existing clients and from centers of influence;
- Partner with other departments to promote the firm’s investment services and support incoming prospect calls and meetings;
- Develop and maintain a personal network to assist with referrals and promoting Kerr Financial; this could include participation in community level organizations (ie – charity boards);
- Participate in other firm marketing initiatives which could include presenting as a senior investment professional at internal and external events and contributing written pieces for promotional purposes.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Contributing as an active member of the firm’s Investment Committee which provides strategic direction with respect to portfolio positioning, manager selection, and internal funds management;
- Managing Toronto’s investment department budget and staff – helping to develop the annual service line budget and reviewing quarterly billings vs budget;
- Ensuring branch IM compliance in connection with the Toronto Investment Administrator and company compliance team;
- Taking overall responsibility for quarterly client reporting accuracy and timely delivery;
- Approving weekly trading activity and asset allocation.
Desired Skills & Experience
- The employee will have at least 15 years of investment experience with discretionary portfolio management and client relationship management;
- Success in client retention and developing new client relationships;
- Successful business development experience and network in wealth management client base;
- CFA (or CIM based on experience); non-IM designations: CPA or CFP an asset
- Eligible for NRD registration;
- Collaborative and self-starting individual with a track record of professional success;
- Strong communication and presentation skills;
- Effective staff leadership skills;
- Comfortable with investment software tools used in client service delivery;
- Analytical and detail orientated.
Commensurate with experience - Base salary plus bonus
We thank all applicants however, due to volume of candidates, only those moving forward in the recruitment process will be contacted for this position. All resumes are retained and treated confidentially for consideration for future opportunities.