Managing Investment Officer - Private Markets
MOSERS is a team-oriented public pension system made up of passionate, hard-working individuals. Our team believes our members’ financial security comes first. Whether we’re investing trust fund assets, in the field providing educational seminars, interacting with members for one-on-one counseling, or working on the various systems that support our mission and staff, we are all collaborating to serve our members.
We administer defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans; life insurance and long term disability insurance to State of Missouri employees. This position is an integral part of a team responsible for investing and growing MOSERS' $9.7 billion trust fund.
What You’ll Do
The Managing Investment Officer - Private Markets position is the lead of the private equity asset class and has oversight of external manager relationships. In addition, this position conducts research into beta identification and the potential subsequent strategic positioning of those betas into the Portfolio. The position may also serve as a secondary team member of other private or public asset classes.
How You'll Spend Your Time
- Oversees external manager relationships. Including daily monitoring of assigned managers and conducting due diligence meetings and writing reports to document current thoughts about each manager.
- May select staff, assign work priorities and responsibilities, approve leave requests, conduct performance reviews, establish performance and professional development goals for, develop salary recommendations, issue disciplinary action when necessary, help train and develop the skills of employees, and maintain adequate staffing to assure service standards are met.
- Leading the manager hiring and termination process for assigned asset classes to comply with MOSERS governance policies.
- Leading asset class meetings to inform staff about current market conditions, current positioning, manager performance and research projects.
- Producing research on markets and sub-class allocation for use in asset allocation decisions.
- Recommending and implementing strategic, value-added allocations across assigned asset classes.
- Identifying, implementing and monitoring strategic value-added investment opportunities. Research and strategy conclusions include expected returns and risks associated with each investment opportunity.
- Tracking external research sources including interacting with senior research/portfolio management professionals in the investment management and investment banking industries to provide useful insight into markets and investment opportunities.
- Working with the internal risk team, investment managers, and software vendors to ensure the quality of the data in the risk measurement and custodian systems.
- Developing and running reports in investment statistical software systems for use by senior management in the investment decision making process.
- Preparing presentations and presenting them to MOSERS’ Board of Trustees.
What we're looking for in the ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, or closely related field with minimum of 7 years of institutional private equity investment experience is required. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Strongly preferred Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation.
- Supervisory Experience Preferred
- Strong analytical and data analysis skills are required.
- Advanced knowledge of investment markets, economic theories, and portfolio management.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal are required with experience making formal presentations preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with MOSERS staff, members, outside vendors, and other contacts.
- Ability to demonstrate integrity and high degree of ethics.
- Someone who can work independently and manage your time efficiently with minimal oversight
- Dedication to the task at hand and strive to exceed expectations.
- Willingness to travel, some overnight, out of state travel is required along with a valid driver's license.
What You’ll Love About Us
- Our Team – Our staff consistently ranks “co-workers” at the top of their lists of things they love about MOSERS in our Employee Satisfaction and Engagement Surveys
- Our Culture – Our staff also ranks our leadership and our “team” culture highly on our surveys.
- Competitive Pay – Anticipated starting salary is $170,000 - $210,000 depending on qualifications.
- Our Benefits – MOSERS staff enjoy the same benefits as State of Missouri Employees which include:
- Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Pension Plans
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Cafeteria Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
- 12 Holidays Per Year
If this job sounds like a fit for you and us, we look forward to reviewing your resume! To ensure consideration apply at www.mosers.org/careers by Wednesday, June 30th but the position will remain open until filled. EOE: M/F/V/D.