Associate, Capital Markets Equities Energy Research
Associate, Capital Markets Equities Energy Research
We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions so you feel empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and feel truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
The Capital Markets arm of CIBC provides corporate, government and institutional clients with innovative solutions to help them raise capital, and grow and invest actively throughout North America and key financial centres around the world. To deliver on its vision to be our clients’ preferred capital markets banking partner across multiple products and services, both in Canada and where our core competencies can be exported. The Capital Markets mission is to bring Canadian Capital Markets products to Canada and the rest of the world, and also bring the world to Canada.
The Equities team at CIBC Capital Markets understands what institutional investors value most: original ideas, top service and performance. Whether it's Bay Street or Wall Street, CIBC World Markets Inc. is there with the depth and breadth of product to advise on and execute the decisions of the investment community - anywhere in North America.
As an Energy Research Associate the incumbent will work closely with our Calgary-based equity research team covering the global and North American energy markets. This will include working across the energy value chain, but the principal focus will on covering the Canadian Large-cap E&Ps & Integrateds and SMID-cap E&P sectors.
How You’ll Succeed
Research – The Associate will learn and develop knowledge for financial analysis and about the capital markets. In the role, you will gain valuable experience in developing and maintaining financial models, databases, researching financial companies and analyzing industry trends. The incumbent will also play a role in supporting the broader team with ongoing data and analysis for our ongoing commodity views, research and basic administrative support. A successful candidate will also work closely with our Calgary-based Energy Equity Research Team to help cover the Global and North American crude and natural gas markets.
The Associate will learn and develop a depth of knowledge for financial analysis and about the capital markets. In the role, they will gain valuable experience in writing reports, developing and maintaining financial models, forecasting cash flow and earnings, researching companies and analyzing industry trends. The individual will be required to have a solid understanding of the Canadian and global energy markets with a strong bias given to previous Energy Research Associates and/or candidates with relevant commodity or industry experience. In addition, although the role will be part of our Institutional Equity Research Team, the role will include exposure across CIBC Capital Markets, including selective exposure to our Economics, Macro Strategy, Portfolio Strategy, and Commodity Derivatives Teams.
Client Focus - In participation with the Research Analysts they will participate in a quarterly conference call with investors and analysts from competing firms to get direct data and interaction with the companies and industries senior management team. The position also provides the opportunity to liaise with our Sales, Trading, Investment Banking colleagues and clients as required.
Who You Are
- Education & Industry Experience. Preference is given to candidates who possess relevant experience and demonstrated interest in the capital markets industry through school courses, clubs and/or related work. Please include your cover letter and resume. Preference is also given to candidates who possess an undergraduate degree in Finance, Accounting or business-related discipline.
- Technical Skills. High proficiency knowledge of PC applications - specifically Excel. Working knowledge of financial software (i.e. Bloomberg, FactSet) is an asset
- Collaborative. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work independently in a deadline oriented environment. Strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Detail Oriented. Excellent analytical and quantitative skills. Ability to work independently in a deadline oriented environment.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure foster innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.email@example.com
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
Calgary-855 2 ST SW, 7th