Director - Investment Analyst
About The Company:
Benchmark Plus Management, founded in 1998 and headquartered in the Greater Seattle Area, partners with tax exempt institutions to design and implement fully-integrated bespoke portable alpha solutions. Our fully integrated solutions alleviate the onerous resource and operational commitments required to create and manage in house segregated portable alpha programs.
Our portable alpha solutions restructure efficiently priced, inefficiently capitalized investments to increase the alpha generating potential of a portfolio. Our intent as a partner is not to alter a plan’s asset allocation, just the means by which certain asset exposures are obtained. Replacing an inefficient capital allocation with an efficient capital allocation provides the opportunity to maintain the economic exposure to the client’s desired beta AND acquire a separate, idiosyncratic alpha.
Today we manage approximately $800M in assets for a growing number of sophisticated institutions. Our partners include corporate and public pensions, endowments and foundations. We've built a demonstrable and repeatable process that's yielded a 20+ year track record of generating exceptional risk-adjusted alpha.
Who We Are:
We are an established business with an entrepreneurial culture. Our size means your role has a direct impact on the success of the firm. We embrace an intellectually honest mindset that lends itself to constant process improvement.
Portable alpha requires an alpha engine capable of delivering an uncorrelated, idiosyncratic return. The base layer to our alpha engine is comprised of a number of strategy-agnostic investments. The successful candidate will become part of a team responsible for sourcing and managing these investments. They will be expected to contribute to the qualitative and quantitative analysis and discussion of all active alpha investments.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
- Experience with equity, credit and/or volatility relative value strategies
- Competency in statistics and the underlying assumptions
- Be a self-starter with a deep curiosity for investments
- Be hands-on and find satisfaction in delivering superior work product
- Source new investments
- Assume primary responsibility for a number of existing investments
- Prepare / maintain quantitative and qualitative analysis on existing and new investments
- Prepare / maintain custom, dynamic benchmarks for existing and new managers in our proprietary research management system (RMS)
- Ensure the benchmark is the best representation of the systematic risk in the manager’s portfolio
- Provide timely benchmark updates to the trading desk for efficient and responsive hedging
- Make sure that anything the affects the manager’s inefficiencies, competitive advantages, or optimal portfolio construction is brought to the attention of the CIO and other analysts
- Provide constructive input during our manager ranking / portfolio optimization process
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- CFA / CAIA / MBA preferred
- Bachelors’ degree in Finance (or mathematics based degree)
- Attention to detail, high level of maturity and the ability to multi-task with little supervision
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Competitive compensation package consisting of:
- Base Salary
- Quantitative revenue share bonus (based on fund performance)
- Qualitative discretionary bonus
- 401K profit share bonus
- Full medical and dental
- 3 weeks paid vacation + market holidays
- Paid family & sick leave