ESG Corporate Research Analyst
Role: ESG Corporate Research Analyst
Location: London Head Office
We are a leading independent global asset manager, dedicated to delivering the best outcomes for our clients through a highly diversified range of actively-managed products. We are truly global, supporting our individual and institutional investors across a range of products, encompassing equities, fixed income, multi-asset and alternatives. We build client trust by being dependably excellent in all things, and we put the client at the heart of everything we do. Our high-energy and collaborative culture at Janus Henderson helps our client achieve their goals and ensures that our people love the place they work.
Janus Henderson offers expertise across all major asset classes, with investment teams situated around the world. These dynamic teams are structured and operate in ways that are best suited to their asset classes and manage products designed to meet a range of investor needs globally. We do not impose top-down house views; instead we allow an appropriate level of flexibility within a controlled environment and encourage the sharing and debate of investment ideas. Our Investment teams are grouped under: Equities, Fixed Income, Multi-Assets and Alternatives.
Overview of the role
The focus of this team will be to provide a hub of specialist technical expertise on ESG Investment Research. The team will be structured by super-sector coverage, consistent with natural ESG risk and theme alignment across the corporate issuer opportunity set. The group will provide scalable thematic, industry and sovereign research. They will support investment teams across all asset classes by conducting independent research, with the corporate analysts on the team most closely supporting equity and credit analysts and portfolio managers. Analysis may focus on individual issuers or groups of issuers that are impacted by a particular theme.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and articulate an ESG assessment methodology for the industries in your assigned sector group.
- Conduct research independently and analyse specific issuers and themes within your assigned sector group.
- Undertake research visits / meetings with a wide range of companies, debt originators, and sell side analysts, as required.
- Publish research conclusions and company meeting notes on the internal research management system, and present those conclusions to your sector cohort across the credit and equity teams.
- You may be required to work with other teams to prepare presentations, investigate client queries and respond to other ad hoc requirements.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned.
Has responsibility for contributing to portfolios across Equities, Fixed Income and Multi Asset.
There is a range of seniority desired for the team. One role will be designated as the research lead, which will include line management responsibilities. Another role will be focused on junior analyst activities, with commensurate expectations on experience. The remainder of roles will be at publishing investment research analyst level.
Technical skills and qualifications
- IMC or CFA desired (or studying towards)
- Degree educated in business, maths, finance, or sustainability discipline
- Previous experience covering a sector desired
- Knowledge of ESG metrics and their relevance to business performance
- Microsoft office skills to include Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Bloomberg and other market data platforms
- Knowledge of main ESG and climate data sets desired
- Where relevant, language skills particular to geographies covered
In addition to putting clients first, acting like an owner, and succeeding as a team, the competencies for this role include:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work and make decisions independently
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and assimilate large amounts of information quickly
- Coping with pressure and setbacks
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed, in line with applicable regulatory requirements, by:
- Annual performance appraisal
- Completion of all assigned compliance training
- Annual attestation (Knowledge and Competence in-scope roles only)
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first, act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if additional guidance is required
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and seek support/guidance of the policy owner guidance when required
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary.
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.