Junior Analyst - Hedge Funds & Alternative Alpha
Department: Hedge Funds and Alternative Alpha, Americas
Location: New York Office
Title: Junior Analyst, Americas
Reports to: Managing Director of Hedge Funds and Alternative Alpha
At APG our job is to focus on the future. We work to provide sustainable, long-term returns for our pension fund clients, so that their participants can enjoy a good retirement in a livable world. We serve over 22,000 Dutch employers and provide pensions for 4.7 million people in the Netherlands.
APG’s asset management division invests €560 billion (November 2020) in Dutch pension capital. As one of the largest pension fiduciaries in the world, we carefully consider return, risk, and cost, in balance with the social and sustainability performance of each investment we make. We have realized an average return of approximately 7% over the last 20 years and are a global leader in responsible investing. With 700 highly qualified employees working from the Netherlands, Hong Kong and the US, APG Asset Management has diverse in-house expertise to ensure stable, long-term returns.
APG Asset Management US Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of APG and has been investing in the Americas for our clients for over two decades. We manage about 17% of APG’s total AuM ($102.4 billion as of June 2020) out of the New York office. Our staff of 154 professionals works across multiple asset classes, including fixed income, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, hedge funds and alternative alpha.
For more information about APG, visit www.apg.nl/en
About the Hedge Funds and Alternative Alpha Team & Your Role
You will be working within the Hedge Funds and Alternative Alpha team (HFAAT) that manages a diverse portfolio of hedge fund investments and absolute return strategies. In your role, you will work in a team to constantly enhance the investment decision-making process. By designing, testing, and developing quantitative solutions with the rest of the team, you will also work on the implementation of innovations. Beyond the described below technical skills, you bring ambition, creativity, and open-mindedness to the table.
The expanding team is presently composed of eight people split between New York (Head of Hedge Funds and Alternative Alpha, Head of Operational Due Diligence and one junior analyst) and Amsterdam (three sector heads, Director of Research and a junior portfolio manager).
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Contribute to the digitalization efforts within the team by designing, coding, testing, and developing both data-heavy and data-lean quantitative solutions that drives our manager selection and monitoring process forward. • Work on the implementation of other automated solutions related to our (cloud) databases, portfolio management systems and client reporting.
• Perform thorough financial data analyses.
• Collaborate with the HFAAT team on primary research on existing and new managers in
the portfolio. Support them in writing reviews, notes, and feedbacks and back them up.
• Work with other teams in the organization among others: Risk, Responsible Investing,
Operations and Research.
• Become knowledgeable about sectoral, industry and micro, macro trends, themes,
opportunities, and threats.
• Contribute to the aspirations of the team and APG to be a global leader in responsible
Academic and Professional Qualifications
• Degree in econometrics, quantitative finance, mathematics, and/or statistics or an
equivalent qualification with mathematical/quantitative background and interests (e.g,
financial modelling). CFA charter holder or equivalent or willingness to pursue.
• 0-3 years minimum investment related work experience.
• Experience with a general-purpose programming language (R or preferably Python) and
data wrangling libraries (e.g. NumPy, pandas, etc.).
• Affinity with data in any format. Comfortable in working with relational as well as nonrelational
database management systems (e.g. SQL-like DBMS, MongoDB)
Compensation: Based on experience.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter (including compensation expectations) to
APG Asset Management US Inc. (APG) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate
against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex,
gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran
status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by applicable law.