Senior Analyst (2 posts)
The University of Hong Kong is looking to recruit two highly skilled investment professionals for the following portfolios.
Post 1: Senior Analyst - Alternative Investments/Private Equity. The appointee will support alternative investments with a focus on private equities for the management of endowment assets. He/She will perform research and due diligence, execution, report writing and presentation, and monitoring of investment portfolios. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop recommendations on alternative investments including private equities, private debt, real assets, hedge funds etc.;
- Contribute to the idea generation process and identify appropriate investment response to key themes, opportunities, and risks in the capital markets broadly;
- Develop overall asset allocation within the alternative investments programme by contributing to portfolio construction, investment allocation, and planning process;
- Source investment opportunities which include private equity fund-of-funds, primary and secondary funds and co-investments;
- Conduct due diligence reviews on current and prospective GPs and private equity funds;
- Prepare written reports and present findings to internal committees;
- Facilitate strategic dialogue, clear communication, and thought leadership between external managers and internal stakeholders;
- Negotiate better terms and rights for the University and execute investment strategies;
- Maintain relationships with fund managers and GPs and other financial professionals who can be a source of leads for investment opportunities; and
- Generate reports and analytics to monitor the ongoing performance of managers and specific investment strategies.
Post 2: Senior Analyst - Manager Selection and Portfolio Construction. The appointee will support portfolio construction and manager selection functions in the public markets. Key responsibilities include:
- Support the management of endowment assets with asset allocation, portfolio construction and manager selection in the public markets;
- Develop asset allocation strategy and perform portfolio construction by blending index, active, and alternative strategies;
- Identify, search and evaluate highly skilled investment managers in the public markets who are able to generate consistent and repeatable alpha through the cycle and preserve capital in periods of market stress;
- Conduct comprehensive and forward-looking analysis of an investment management operation by having regular on-site due diligence visits with investment managers in the selection and monitoring processes to ensure that investments are managed in accordance with investment policy guidelines;
- Work closely with portfolio management and analytics teams at external managers to intimately understand investment strategies, investment processes, teams, incentive alignment, risks, factor exposures, and reporting analytics;
- Provide analysis and optimization of the performance/risk composition of the portfolio;
- Regularly report analysis and findings (written and verbal) on the existing portfolios as well as prospective managers/strategies to internal stakeholders and governance committee;
- Provide thought leadership, investment expertise and support the ongoing development of manager selection and portfolio construction; and
- Provide competitive intelligence, analysis and comparisons on an ongoing basis.
Qualifications, experience and personal attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration or Actuarial Science and Statistics, CFA preferred;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to accomplish tasks with minimal supervision and high attention to detail;
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation, and analytical skills; and
- Willingness to work effectively in a team environment.
For Post 1:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in alternative investments, in particular private equities GP selection;
- Experience as an investor, portfolio manager, and/or research analyst with focus on private investments and hedge funds preferred;
- Demonstrated professional network in the alternative investments sector;
- Ability to perform relative value analysis of different fund strategies and investment opportunities; and
- Independent thinker with ability to develop and articulate an independent investment view.
For Post 2:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in portfolio construction and manager selection;
- Skills in investment portfolio construction, asset allocation, manager due diligence and risk management;
- Equity market background across multiple geographies (domestic, developed markets, emerging markets, etc.);
- Understanding of attribution and risk management concepts and experience with leading measurement tools (Factset, Barra, Bloomberg or other similar tools); and
- Knowledge of fund industry research and analytical tools.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits.
The University only accepts online application for the above posts. Applicants should apply online at the University’s career site (https://jobs.hku.hk), indicate the post applying for and upload an up-to-date C.V. Review of applications will start as soon as possible and continue until June 12, 2021, or until the posts are filled, whichever is earlier.
The University is an equal opportunities employer and
is committed to equality, ethics, inclusivity, diversity and transparency