Associate Director of Asset Management
EquityMultiple is looking for a highly motivated and entrepreneurial Associate Director of Asset Management. You will join a passionate and experienced asset management team whose goal is to make real estate investing more accessible, transparent, and secure. You will have an opportunity to provide strategic and technical leadership through acting as the liaison between EquityMultiple and its operating partners with a specific focus on overseeing the portfolio of real estate assets located throughout the U.S. The current portfolio comprises a diversified pool of assets including multifamily, office, hotel, industrial, student housing, car wash, retail, self-storage, co-living, condo, etc. and is invested in all parts of the capital structure. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with the Real Estate group on new investments.
This position is located in New York City, however, due to the impacts of COVID-19 EquityMultiple is currently operating remotely. There will be opportunities for in-person interaction and collaboration with colleagues via work summits and company culture events which you can attend wholly at your option. Currently, there is a plan to return to in-person office operations in 2021. Until that time, extensive use of the Google Workspace suite of collaboration and video conferencing tools are employed to maximize support and coordination within and amongst all teams with regular team and company-wide meetings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for direct oversight and strategic asset management of a portfolio of real estate assets located throughout the U.S.
- Develop and implement strategy for each investment including hold/refinance/sell recommendations.
- Actively review monthly operating reports to help identify and track operating performance trends, operating budget variances, and significant changes in the assets and their respective markets.
- Monitor and track compliance of all guidelines in the loan documents, joint venture agreements, and other relevant agreements.
- Generate asset management reports for internal and external use.
- Closely partner with key stakeholders, building strong relationships with internal and external partners to enhance operational functions and provide value-add support.
- Develop detailed working knowledge of the organization and how the functions partner together internally and with external parties.
- Ensure the fiscal integrity of portfolios through diligent monitoring and managing of owned assets with operating partners to maximize distributable cash flow and long-term economic value in addition to working with operating partners to create operating budgets and business plans.
- Collaborate closely with acquisitions and investor relations teams on all aspects of the portfolio.
- Train and mentor junior team members on all aspects of asset management including valuation techniques, financial modeling, and asset updates.
- Perform quarterly reviews of owned assets with Senior Management.
- Lead calls with operating partners for asset and market performance updates.
- Build and maintain relationships and partnerships with sponsors and lenders to generate new and repeat business.
- Proactively strengthen processes, and be accountable for accuracy, integrity and timeliness of key projects through regularly monitoring the progress of development projects, capital improvement projects and spending for adherence to approved plans and for identifying cost variances.
- Monitor market research and geographic trends relative to investment value, leasing, costs, and supply/demand fundamentals in conjunction with EquityMultiple’s data science program and provide findings and insights to key partners.
- Reports to the Head of Asset Management.
Experience, Skills and Abilities Required
- 5-7 years of experience with real estate investments across multiple property types and geographic locations.
- Strong understanding of real estate fundamentals.
- Demonstrated understanding of Excel and Argus and overall modeling process.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- A heightened attention to detail – must be meticulous and consistently accurate.
- Proactive, diligent team player who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment.