Senior Investment Risk Analyst
Franklin Templeton Investments is a leading global investment management organization due to the efforts of our greatest assets - our employees. We have over 9,000 employees working in 60 offices around the world, servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 150 countries. We believe in our corporate values of putting clients first, building relationships, achieving quality results, and working with integrity. Our people are dedicated to delivering strong results and exceptional service to clients, team members and business partners.
For more than 65 years, our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills, and persistence of our people. We are currently looking for qualified candidates to join our team.
The Senior Investment Risk Analyst will work with members of assigned Franklin Templeton investment teams to provide unbiased measurements of investment risk using top-down quantitative approaches (risk modeling, optimization, etc.) to complement the fundamental, bottom-up investment processes of our investment teams. This is to enable robust risk management in the portfolios, i.e., to ensure no unintended risks are present. Risks identified through this quantitative, top-down approach are either confirmed to be intended or should be adjusted.
Reporting to a Director, the ideal candidate will have prior experience with Fixed Income securities and derivatives. The ideal candidate will also have strong analytical skills and investment risk and performance experience. Excellent organization, communication, and a diligent approach to problem solving are required. A willingness to dive into detail as well as oversee and guide processes and small to medium size projects is necessary in this role.
- Responsible for overall Investment Risk relationship with a local investment team. Works directly with Portfolio Managers and Research Analysts on value-added analysis to understand sources of risk, questions around portfolio construction, and other analysis as required.
- Works with Risk Analysts and other members of the Risk team to develop, implement and manage, on an ongoing basis, the process of providing portfolio risk and performance information and insights.
- Can define and implement a value-added research effort and can communicate findings to various audiences. Conducts ad hoc analysis on portfolio risk exposures using various analytical systems, including interpretation and communication of results to portfolio managers and upper management with the purpose of integrating investment risk management into the portfolio management process.
- Applies modern portfolio theory to construct portfolios with defined characteristics. Conduct portfolio simulations such as Stress tests, backtests or scenario analyses to test portfolio construction strategies.
- Responsible for identifying the drivers and detractors of performance and for communicating the output of performance attribution analyses to investment teams and other stakeholders.
- Subject matter expert during client meetings.
- Fulfill the business local regulatory risk obligations and be the main point of contact during risk audits.
- Responsibilities include analysis, conducting periodic (monthly, quarterly) CIO and fund board review meetings and monthly review meetings with portfolio managers, risk consulting, value-added projects, advising on technical issues related to risk systems and data, and coordination and collaboration across functional teams.
- Serve as expert resource for inquiries from clients, Fund Boards, Sales & Marketing, and regulatory/legal/compliance teams regarding performance, exposures, portfolio characteristics and risk of covered strategies.
45% Consultation and Risk Management
45% Risk Analytics
10% Functional Development
- Expertise in the strategies and securities used in the portfolios of the investment team(s) for which the risk manager is responsible. This is so he/she can provide intuition for the results provided by the quantitative tools (or know when the output does not make sense and needs correction/refinement).
- Expert in providing assessment and evaluation of portfolio risk and return trade-offs on a forward and backward basis. This will be based on understanding of calculation methodologies pertaining to attribution and risk analysis in performance attribution and risk modeling, and in the systems, we use for these functions (Bloomberg PORT, BarraOne).
- Expertise in sourcing and manipulating security and portfolio data using source systems and tools such as Excel, VBA, SQL, R, Python etc.
- Expertise in quantitative analysis techniques, such as mean variance optimization, statistics, etc.
- Expert in Interacting with internal clients: portfolio management, client services, marketing, product development, investment operations, accounting, as well as FT clients.
- Ability to always juggle multiple projects/requests (usually more than 10) while meeting deadlines set by clients, etc.
- Ability to manage and mentor more junior team members who are learning, generally from scratch, performance and attribution, risk modeling, investment strategies.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in finance, math or other quantitative discipline.
- Progress toward or completion of CIPM, FRM, CFA, or MBA, Masters preferred.
- Strong quantitative skills.
- Experience with Bloomberg PORT preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, as well as a highly proactive and energetic client service focus.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical theory and a good understanding of financial instruments and markets.
- A thorough understanding of multi-asset class performance and risk. This entails a clear understanding of analytic calculations around derivatives instruments at the security and portfolio levels.
- Experience communicating complex financial topics with the ability to successfully articulate quantitative concepts to audience(s) unfamiliar with those same concepts.
- Experience consulting with financial professionals, including Portfolio Managers and Chief Investment Officers preferred.
- Thorough understanding of database functionality and enterprise information systems.
- Ability to work independently, think out-of-the-box and provide analysis and recommendations with credibility and confidence.
5 yearsor more of experience in/with portfolio analysis (including some quantitative analysis) in the Mutual Fund/Financial Services Industry
3-5-years of experience in a job related to investment risk management, portfolio management or related.