Research Analyst - Biotech
Overview of the role
You will provide portfolio managers and fellow health care team members with relevant research and recommendations to drive investments in equities within the biotechnology sector. Coverage list is estimated to include 30+ health care stocks with a focus on large and medium capitalization biotechnology companies. You will conduct deep fundamental analysis of individual companies, focusing on factors such as: pipeline potential, competitive positioning, quality of company management, etc. The successful candidate will build detailed financial models and project future revenue, earnings, and cash flows, with a goal of projecting the long-term value of stocks in order to make actionable buy and sell recommendations
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct research independently to formulate investment recommendations on individual securities within the biotechnology sector. Careful consideration should be given to forecasted growth, competitive positioning, quality of financial reporting and management as well as potential responses to worst case scenarios.
- Construct models to generate pertinent questions that need to be answered in the research process, determine critical drivers and forecast future revenue, earnings and cash flows.
- Undertake research visits/meetings to formulate and extend deep industry expertise, including meeting with company management teams, attendance at medical conferences, review of scientific literature, contact with competitors, customers, suppliers, key opinion leaders, healthcare professionals and other relevant constituents.
- Construct comprehensive valuation analysis.
- Compile and communicate research findings with Portfolio Managers through written notes, reports, and presentations to form a differentiated view on companies.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned.
Has responsibility for supporting portfolios that are covered by the centralized equity research team within the biotechnology sector.
Technical skills and qualifications
- Four-year degree in finance, economics, accounting, or a healthcare related field required
- Post-graduate degree such as MBA, MD or PhD in life sciences preferred
- Progress toward a CFA preferred
- 5+ years of equity investment analyst experience required
- Strong stock picking skills, with a proven track record of adding value
- Strong modeling skills required. Need to be proficient in building and maintaining financial models to forecast future revenue, earnings, and cash flows.
- Understanding of corporate finance, accounting, and experience with MS Word, Excel and research on the internet.
- Background in medicine, biology, biochemistry or similar field
In addition to putting clients first, acting like an owner, and succeeding as a team, the competencies for this role include:
- Strong interest in the stock market and business world
- Exceptional analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong creativity, initiative, intellectual curiosity and drive
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate articulately, concisely and persuasively
- Ability to work and make decisions independently as well as function effectively within a team
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and assimilate large amounts of information quickly
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed, in line with applicable regulatory requirements, by:
- Annual performance appraisal
- Completion of all assigned compliance training
- Annual attestation (Knowledge and Competence in-scope roles only)
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first and always act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if you would like further explanation or direction regarding this
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and ask for the support/guidance of the policy owner if you are unsure at any time
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary.
The base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $200,000. This range is estimated for this role. Actual pay may be different.