Portfolio Management Analyst
This position is responsible for maximizing the efficiency of analysis of changes in investment positions, credit metrics and trends in the portfolios of Unum Group. This role is also an integral part in the process of data management for the Investment Trading and Research group and for all phases of the investment trading and research systems interfaces and formal reporting processes. The successful candidate will stay abreast of systems technology and will identify and develop strategies as needed to maximize the efficiency of data analysis and reporting. The incumbent will interface with peers and partners across the Company to coordinate the distribution of investment information, maintaining the highest level of accuracy and minimizing the duplication of investment reports. In addition, the selected candidate will coordinate compilation and preparation of information for key board and senior management reports and have a working knowledge of investment concepts and analytics.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Investment Trading and Research Reporting, Data and Systems Management
- Assists Investment Team in conducting analysis of portfolio activity, strategies, and trends on a regular basis; various ad hoc analysis required in response to Investor Relations or senior management inquiries.
- Create frameworks for analyzing alternative investment and risk scenarios.
- Support development of specialized asset allocations as required by M&A or other strategic corporate initiatives.
- Continually investigate and implement new investment/financial ideas as proposed by upper management.
- Develop and recommend strategies for achieving corporate and subsidiary investment goals.
- Participate in review and update of investment policies with partners and with senior management as well as ongoing monitoring of investment policies.
- Maintain ongoing dialogue with Investments, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis, Investor Relations, Investment Accounting and Finance to make sure that investment metrics and themes are communicated in a concise and timely manner.
- Maintain an ongoing dialogue with investment systems and subject matter experts to stay current on industry issues, trends, and products.
- Partner with requisite functional areas to identify reporting requirements and make sure that systems are in place to meet requirements on schedule.
- Direct the testing of new systems applications in Investment Trading and Research to ensure data integrity.
- Create investment reports detailing key portfolio metrics and other information as required for reporting to Unum’s senior executives and Board of Directors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree required, with CFA or CPA preferred
- Strong analytical skills required
- Minimum of 5 years experience in investment markets or related field required
- Excellent communication skills and ability to partner across departmental lines
- Strong Excel or other spread sheeting technology skills and ability to learn new software and utilize external quantitative tools
- Ability to produce and maintain quantitative financial models
- Excellent problem-solving skills, documentation skills and ability to work independently
- Strong accounting and systems knowledge
- Very strong work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast-paced environment