Director of Private Investments
Director of Private Investments
Location: San Jose
FLSA: Status: Exempt
Caprock is a multi-family office serving as the CIO and CFO for more than 150 ultra-high net worth families, including family foundation clients. Our team of 35 professionals, across six offices, oversees and advises on more than $6 Billion of assets, with a particular focus on private investments and impact investing. We work closely with the families we serve to bring order, structure, and intentionality to every financial decision through thoughtful long-term planning and wealth management. Caprock’s deep experience in all aspects of portfolio management, especially private investments, makes us uniquely well-positioned to assist the families we serve in achieving their long-term goals and objectives. Caprock privately-owned with locations in San Jose, New York, Seattle, Newport Beach, Park City and Boise.
How you will spend your time:
The successful Director of Private Investments will help guide and direct more than $2 billion of private investing across multiple asset classes. Responsibilities will include leading initial and ongoing diligence for private investments (with a focus on private equity, venture capital, private debt, and real assets), development of a pipeline of investments that anticipates both future successful investment themes as well as client needs, leading and cultivating deep and respectful relationships in the industry, overseeing elements of Caprock’s flag ship access vehicles for private investments and communicating clearly with internal and external stakeholders in both written and verbal mediums. The position will also assist in the development of our proprietary capital market assumptions and contribute to the Firm’s economic and market forecasts. The Director of Private Investments is a voting member of the investment committee and as such helps guide the strategic direction of our investments and reports to the CIO.
Investment Manager Due Diligence
· Lead initial and ongoing manager due diligence processes across asset classes with an emphasis on conventional private fund managers in real estate, private equity, venture capital and private debt;
· Review and analyze a diverse range of investment related materials including financial statements, industry trends, cap tables, projections, third party reports and proprietary models to evaluate investment opportunities;
· Review investment legal documents to identify and clearly articulate important terms including fees, expenses, potential conflicts, risks, and liquidity provisions;
· Negotiate investment terms for improved governance and economics with investment managers;
· Author client facing and internal manager recommendations that clearly and succinctly communicate the risks and opportunities an investment offers.
Development of an Investment Pipeline
· Perform industry reviews to develop investment themes and identify investment opportunities with an eye to future opportunity as well as client needs;
· Actively coordinate with managers on the Caprock platform regarding the fundraising schedule for future strategies and funds;
· Develop and actively manage an investment pipeline for private investments across the target asset classes (private equity, venture capital, private debt, and real assets)
· Project future client appetite for private fund investments across multiple asset classes
· Use research tools such as Pitchbook, MorningStar and FactSet to identify strong investment themes and fund managers.
Investment Manager Relationship Management & Portfolio Monitoring
· Lead all aspects of investment manager relationships with existing investment management firms on the Caprock platform;
· Coordinate diligence and quarterly review meetings with investment managers and actively communicate manager and fund performance, including critical updates throughout the life of an investment;
· Manage all aspects of the onboarding process with new investment managers to ensure that investments are quickly and efficiently available to Client Advisors;
· Participate in select investment manager meetings (both ad-hoc and annual meetings) to strengthen manager relationships and partnerships;
· Identify potential client prospects at events and conferences through active networking
· Contribute to research and development of investment themes and capital market assumptions;
· Contribute to the development and preparation of monthly and quarterly investment commentaries and forecasts for both internal and external audiences;
· Participate in client meetings led by Client Advisors when applicable, and be available as a resource to discuss specific investments and industry trends;
· Provide strategic guidance to the team and the Board of Directors;
· Perform other duties as assigned by the CIO.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business required;
• MBA or CFA preferred;
• 7 - 10 years of experience leading and conducting diligence and making investments in private funds and companies.
• Preference for applicants with work experience at a single or multi-family office or pension funds, insurance companies, funds of funds or similar where the role included significant private fund diligence, especially private equity, venture capital or private debt, such as;
• Deep experience in private due diligence across private equity, venture capital, real estate, and private debt;
• Seasoned experience in negotiating investment terms and understanding complex fund models and special investment vehicles;
• Demonstrated interest regarding financial markets and traditional and alternate valuation techniques across multiple asset classes;
• Experience with financial markets across multiple asset classes;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Teams, and other finance-related software;
• Series 65 licensed (or willingness to obtain).
What you provide:
• Client focused orientation that always keeps the interest of clients first.
• A form of leadership that earns respect up and down the organization through hard work, active engagement, and smart ideas.
• Intellectual curiosity that enhances your ability to learn, grow and contribute to those around you.
• Organized thinking, attention to detail and a commitment to timely and thorough completion of projects.
• Ability to adapt and thrive when priorities are adjusted in response to changing opportunities.
• Ability to work in a team environment and take great satisfaction in the team’s success.
• Problem-solving skills that Identify process improvements that help the Team be more efficient.
What We Provide:
Caprock is committed to investing in its people and the communities we serve.
• Competitive base salary and bonus structure;
• Contribute the maximum allowed to employee 401(k) plans;
• Employer paid premium for health/dental/vision benefits for employees and their dependents;
• Paid parking and phone reimbursement;
• Nine paid holidays;
• Flexible Paid Time Off.
Caprock is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.