Corporate Finance Analyst
Job Description – Corporate Finance Analyst
Job Family: Finance
Job status: Permanent Full time
Department: Strategy, Planning & Investor Relations
Gibson Energy is a leading oil-focused infrastructure company headquartered in Calgary, Alberta. With nearly 14 million barrels of storage, and over 500 km of crude pipelines, we touch 1 in every 4 barrels produced in Western Canada. Utilizing this focused asset base, along with our dedicated and talented employees, we help create value for our customers while generating stable, long-term cash flow.
What it’s like to Work Here
At Gibson Energy, we are powered by the diverse, skilled and innovative talents of our employees to ensure safe and responsible operations. We take pride in being a trusted member of our communities where employees have an important role in positively impacting their communities where we live, work and play. It’s our people that make coming to work everyday enjoyable and sharing successes together so rewarding.
Ultimately, our strategically located facilities, combined with our best-in-class market connectivity and a long-term growth outlook, help us connect our customers to markets, our employees to exciting and rewarding careers and investors to long-term value.
The Corporate Finance Analyst will support a broad suite of functions within the Finance group, including Corporate Planning, Corporate Development, Treasury, and Investor Relations as part of a cross-functional Analyst Pool. Duties include performing detailed financial modelling and analysis, including economic evaluations and projections; preparing internal and external presentations and other supporting materials; research, track and analyze key capital markets, industry and business metrics; as well as industry competitors and business opportunities in both Canada and the U.S.
As a member of the cross-functional team, the successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to engage and work directly with senior leadership and executives from across the organization.
What You’ll be Doing
- Develop, maintain and improve the financial models and databases required to support various finance initiatives including forecasts for the existing business, evaluation of M&A&D opportunities and new projects, and analysis of financing needs and opportunities.
- Assist in the preparation and review of the monthly scorecard and forecasting process as well as in the development of materials for the company’s strategy, planning and budgeting cycles.
- Prepare analysis and support the preparation of Gibson’s quarterly board materials (audit committee presentations and finance plan, annual strategic plan, investor relations materials and budget).
- Support larger scale initiatives, such as capital markets activities (revolving credit facility amendments, equity and /or debt financings), Investor Day and presentations to Rating Agencies.
- Maintain relationships and support the activities of internal and external stakeholders (e.g. external legal counsel, auditors, and corporate / investment bankers).
- Provide other analysis and support, as required.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment and proactive approach to Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) through participation in all applicable Gibson Energy EH&S programs and ensures safe operation of the branch, team or unit and compliance with all Company EH&S policies and procedures.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
What You Will Bring
- Bachelor of Commerce degree, with a preference for a Finance or Economics major.
- Experience in financial analysis, corporate finance or planning roles preferred but not required with experience in Investment Banking, Sell-side Research, Buy-side or Corporate Planning exposure considered a strong asset. (1-2 years of banking experience is ideal)
- Progression toward or receipt of CFA, CBV, and / or CPA designation(s) would be preferred, but is not required.
- Strong financial modelling and economic evaluation skills.
- Exceptional Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Exceptional level of motivation and ability to work hard, with a focus on quality of work and attention to detail.
- Superior teamwork skills that are complimented with the ability to work autonomously on projects and initiatives.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with experience in a role with regular internal/external communication viewed as an asset.
- This is an office job based at the Calgary Head Office with a need to travel on rare occasion.
The Job Descriptions do not create a contract of employment. They are a summary of the typical functions of a job and are not intended to be an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The Company reserves the right to modify or revise the job duties or job descriptions in part or in their entirety.