The State of Utah School & Institutional Trust Funds Office (SITFO) is looking for an experienced professional to fill its Investment Analyst position. This position will work closely with the CIO, consultants, and to assist in the successful management of the School Fund and related entities' $2.9 billion investment portfolio to responsibly maximize the return on invested principal for the current and future benefit of Utah’s education programs.
The Investment Analyst is primarily responsible for manager research across asset classes and is expected to contribute to overall SITFO portfolio decision-making. In consultation with the team and advisors, the Investment Analyst will assist in the identification, evaluation, and execution of investments as well as the subsequent monitoring. The Investment Analyst will also perform related research and analytical work to support SITFO’s portfolio management and reporting to key stakeholders.
The investment analyst is expected to be a hands-on contributor, capable of building and collaborating across the organization.
- Acts as project lead for investment and operational due diligence on prospective investments across multiple asset classes, liquidity profiles, and structures.
- Provides fundamental and quantitative analysis as part of identification, evaluation, due diligence, and monitoring of investment managers.
- Clearly articulates findings and recommendations to the team and is capable of healthy debate and constructive feedback.
- Independently or in collaboration with the CIO, creates written and oral presentations and presents to the Trustees.
- Maintains regular contact with investment managers through evaluation and monitoring activities. Suggests improvements to investment policy statements and investment manager guidelines. Drafts and maintains relevant documentation.
- Performs research, analysis, and other duties that may be delegated by the CIO or the Investment Officer (e.g., collaborate with SITFO’s consultants on special projects and analyses, create and transmit communications to the legislature, executive branch, state treasurer, auditors, etc.)
- Assists with portfolio monitoring and construction, including development of analytical tools, collaboration with operations, and asset class/team meeting updates.
- Uses analysis, models, and systems to assess/support the underwriting of investment strategies and individual managers from both risk and return perspectives. Evaluates and assesses historical and anticipated manager performance, including appropriate quantitative measures. Collaborates with others to leverage insights and ideas.
- In addition to manager research, conducts research and analysis on a wide variety of evolving strategic investment topics and handles ad hoc projects, analyses, presentations, and reports.
- Collaborates effectively with colleagues in multiple functions.
- Three plus years’ experience in the research, selection, and monitoring of investment managers.
- Advanced level Excel capabilities and experienced user of databases and software such as eVestment, Preqin, MPI, Burgiss, Solovis, Dynamo, and PerTrac, to research and perform analyses on portfolios, strategies, and managers.
- Experience in preparing and interpreting due diligence reports, risk reports, and managing the data inputs.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, economics, accounting, math, or closely related fields.
- Preference for progress towards CFA, CAIA, or a relevant graduate degree
- Highly motivated, high ethical standards, and a commitment to fiduciary responsibilities.
- Proven ability to collaborate with a reputation for respecting others.
- Understanding and appreciation of working on a small team in a government agency while aligning with the mission and values of SITFO.
- Ability to build strong, trust-based relationships with a broad variety of internal and external contacts, such as: consultants, managers, vendors, peer institutions, and other state agencies.
- Ability to prioritize workflow in a cross-functional team, while being comfortable with ambiguity.
- Strong motivation with the ability to see projects through to completion in a timely manner with limited guidance and a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Humility, resourcefulness, and initiative in researching and supporting a complex investment program with flexibility to adapt to change.
- Ability to support and challenge investment ideas with rigorous and insightful analysis while maintaining diplomacy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to prepare and present written materials, and also lead internal and external meetings.
- An interpersonal style that fits within a collegial, collaborative, team-oriented culture. Able to work effectively as a member of a diverse team, open to feedback.
More searches like this
- Investment Advisor/Consultant Government Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Performance Analysis Government Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Alternatives Government Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Equities Government Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Fixed Income Government Full Time jobs in Bachelors