Fund Research Consultant
Mesirow is an independent, employee-owned firm founded in 1937. As specialists in investment, advisory, and risk management services, we are committed to helping our institutional, corporate and individual clients achieve their objectives. We are proud of Mesirow’s culture of fostering team member engagement, entrepreneurship, and empowerment. Our positive culture, volunteerism, and opportunity for advancement makes Mesirow one of the few employers to be included in both Chicago Tribune’s Top Places to Work and Crain’s Best Places to Work in Chicago.
Mesirow Fiduciary Solutions is an outsourced fiduciary pioneer. Our team of experts delivers a full suite of fiduciary services to recordkeepers, retirement plans, financial advisors, and plan participants through easy-to-understand investment programs.
The Fund Research Consultant will support Mesirow Fiduciary Solutions’ team and investment committee with timely and thorough analyses on mutual funds, collective investment trusts, and other investment vehicles.
The Fund Research Consultant will possess the following responsibilities:
- Interact with asset management companies, schedule and conduct portfolio manager interviews, and write meeting notes
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative due diligence on investment strategies, which include preparing and presenting recommendations to our investment committee
- Write commentaries for investment strategies; the commentaries will cover investment team, process, performance, portfolio positioning and outlook
- Write talking points for the team to use during their quarterly investment review calls with institutional clients; talking points will cover quantitative and qualitative issues for investment strategies and performance attribution
- Support the team’s recurring target date, stable value, and money market analyses and present to our investment committee
- Maintain a schedule for portfolio manager interviews for the team and maintain the team’s due diligence files
- Follow news and regulatory filings on investment strategies
- Provide insights and analyses on retirement industry trends
- Ad hoc requests such as participating on investment review calls with institutional clients
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, mathematics, statistics, or a related field
- Three to ten years of experience in analyzing mutual funds or other investment vehicles
- Understanding of defined contribution plans and advanced knowledge of investment-oriented databases (e.g., Morningstar Direct) strongly preferred
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Superior skills in organization, time management, prioritization, research, team collaboration, and self-motivation
- Demonstrated passion for investing and the retirement industry
- Progress towards CFA or similar designation preferred
- Series 7 and 66 Licenses required within one year of start date
- Must be willing/able to commute to office in River North