Coho Partners, Ltd. (Coho), founded in 1999, is an independent and employee owned investment advisor, dedicated to producing superior risk-adjusted returns within our U.S. equity strategy.
The firm manages approximately $9.4 billion (preliminary as of March 31, 2021) for institutional employee benefit plans, endowments, foundations, corporations, high net worth individuals, eleemosynary organizations, UMA/Model programs, trusts, and estates, and other individual investor accounts. The firm is focused on providing downside protection and upside participation for clients who share our philosophy and vision. Portfolios are implemented through separate accounts, a mutual fund, and UMA accounts.
Coho’s investment philosophy is based on the premise that the most effective way to create and sustain wealth in the equity markets is to achieve an asymmetric pattern of returns over time, where the portfolio demonstrates a down market capture considerably less than its up-market capture. The firm’s primary focus is on risk control and protecting principal in down markets, coupled with strong participation in all but the most speculative of bull markets. This objective is achievable and repeatable by populating portfolios with stocks of high-quality companies that have, and will continue to demonstrate, long-term predictable growth in revenues, earnings, and dividends at reasonable valuations. The firm believes the combination of protection and participation should ultimately lead to better than market performance over a full economic cycle, with less than market risk.
PositionThis position will be responsible for managing and enhancing the firm’s overall performance measurement, analysis, and reporting capabilities. This includes maintaining compliance with our GIPS policies and procedures, interpreting, and implementing GIPS guidance and best practices, and leading the firm’s annual verification efforts. The incumbent will also be expected to elevate firmwide capabilities in performance, risk measurement, and attribution analysis. Activities include, but are not limited to, fulfilling internal and external requests, interpreting drivers of investment risk and return, conducting peer group analysis, and selecting benchmarks.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the systems and technology used to calculate and report performance;
- Calculate investment performance according to our GIPS policies and procedures;
- Construct and maintain GIPS composites;
- Communicate timely and accurate daily, monthly, and quarterly performance at an account and composite level;
- Create standard and ad-hoc reports for internal and external use as needed;
- Collaborate internally to resolve and respond to performance-related inquiries;
- Analyze and interpret performance results, risk, and attribution on client accounts and portfolios;
- Recommend and implement improvements to performance measurement and attribution capabilities;
- Participate in the evaluation, testing, and implementation of new or upgraded performance systems and technology;
- Keep current with ongoing developments in GIPS and GIPS best practices;
- Recommend changes and updates to the firm’s GIPS policies and procedures as necessary;
- Support Compliance in interpreting, documenting, and maintaining the firm’s GIPS compliance program;
- Lead the annual GIPS verification process and external audits or examinations;
- Monitor NAVs of Coho broad distribution pooled funds and coordinate with the funds’ administrator for any significant discrepancies; and
- Any other job duties as needed.
- At least 8 years’ experience in performance measurement;
- Possess a thorough command of investment performance calculations and measures of risk;
- Deep understanding of the GIPS standards;
- Prior experience developing, interpreting, and implementing GIPS policies and procedures;
- Experience managing and maintaining multiple composites;
- Direct involvement in GIPS verifications;
- Quantitative and analytical aptitude;
- High degree of versatility, self-motivation, and integrity;
- Energetic; able to thrive within a small team-oriented environment with minimal oversight;
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, excellent organizational skills;
- Strong computer skills, advanced knowledge of Excel;
- Well-versed in performance and risk measurement software and applications;
- Bachelor’s Degree (Accounting/Finance, Actuarial, Engineering, Mathematics, or Statistics preferred);
- CIPM is highly preferred;
- Advanced degrees or certifications in a quantitative field a plus;
- Knowledge of financial markets, particularly investment operations.
- Experience employing attribution methodologies;
- Thorough understanding of benchmarks; and
- Familiarity with regression analysis and other forms of financial risk modeling a plus.