Investment Officer – RMS Middle and Back Office
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Investment Officer in the Risk Mitigating Strategies unit.
The Risk Mitigating Strategies (RMS) asset class became a part of the total plan asset allocation in 2016. RMS seeks to construct a portfolio of positively returning strategies that provide protection to the total plan during deep and extended equity market downturns. RMS currently includes allocations to trend following, long-duration U.S. Treasuries, global macro and systematic risk premia.
Under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager, the Investment Officer III will serve as a high-level specialist to support operational and reporting requirements for RMS. The incumbent is primarily responsible for developing and generating analytics, implementing and overseeing data management and data integrity processes, monitoring liquidity and risk, conducting operational due diligence, contributing to Board agenda items and other reports, responding to information requests and developing investment processes, procedures and internal controls. The incumbent is expected to perform duties requiring the highest degree of independence, confidentiality, creativity, and discretionary judgment.
Responsibilities of the Investment Officer III include:
- Working with RMS leadership and sub-strategy leads to develop and generate analytics utilizing portfolio, strategy, manager and benchmark information to assess whether RMS objectives are being met.
- Conducting initial and ongoing due diligence and on-site visits with potential and existing external investment managers to assess business and operational risks.
- Responding to information requests related to internal and external audits, cost reporting, Public Records Act (PRA), Assembly Bill (AB) 2833 and others.
- Serving as a lead for lower-level Investment Officers.
The Investment Officer III is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 20% of base salary.
An Investment Officer III who possesses a professional certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Possession of an undergraduate or advanced degree in Statistics, Finance, Business, Economics or a closely related field
- Experience in the financial services industry
- Experience conducting operational due diligence
- Experience working with external managers
- Familiarity with trend following, global macro, and systematic risk premia strategies
- Strong understanding of quantitative research process and methods to produce and interpret information
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and exercise initiative and flexibility
- Ability to research, analyze, and interpret information
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to effectively analyze information to develop and present appropriate recommendations
- Ability to work independently, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines
- Ability to perform complex quantitative and qualitative analysis of statistical measures
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
- Ability to interact with various levels of internal and external professionals with tact and diplomacy
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
More searches like this
- Multimanager Strategies Government CIPM Certificant jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Alternatives Government CIPM Certificant jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Equities Government CIPM Certificant jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Fixed Income Government CIPM Certificant jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset Government CIPM Certificant jobs in Full Time