3 days left
Making a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With over $140 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, the 8th largest public pension fund in the U.S. and the 25th largest public or private pension fund in the world.
We are a mission-driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating respectable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB is recognized as a premier investment manager because of the highly qualified staff successfully managing the assets of the WRS trust funds. SWIB is committed to investing in talented professionals that will help implement a robust and sophisticated investment strategy to manage over half of the trust fund assets internally and keep the organization at the forefront of the investment industry. As an innovative organization, SWIB offers professional development opportunities to help staff sharpen and expand their skills. Approximately 61 percent of SWIB’s investment professionals are Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholders.
About the Team
The Performance Management team plays an essential role in supporting SWIB’s fund and portfolio management process through the creation, modeling, maintenance, analysis, and delivery of benchmarks, performance, risk, and investment strategy metrics necessary for achieving absolute and relative risk/return goals for a sophisticated, multidimensional, leveraged portfolio. Members must balance their roles in consulting and collaborating with the investment team in developing and designing complex investment strategies while independently performing their own quantitative research, analyses, and verifications. Individuals play a critical line of defense by performing an independent control function for senior management.
This position is responsible for collecting, maintaining, and analyzing investment performance data for use in reporting; verifies portfolio and benchmark performance results for accuracy, timeliness, and suitability; monitors performance trends; responds to client requests and conducts special projects and analyses.
Performance Returns and Analysis
- Define and establish processes and controls to manage performance returns and to identify and manage exceptions.
- Execute daily/monthly/quarterly performance processes, responsible for the data gathering, entry, and production of performance data, using third-party services, Eagle PACE, and other systems and tools.
- Research, and resolve performance differences between multiple performance measurement operations systems to establish gold copy governed data.
- Collaborate with vendors/operations/technology to resolve performance issues and improve processes.
- Participate in discussions with internal staff and outside parties regarding appropriate accounting practices and pricing methodologies, including GIPS compliance.
- Participate in the outside consultant preparation of performance reports and monthly investment analysis.
- Assist in presenting and interpreting investment analysis for senior management, investment staff, and trustees.
- Prepare, with outside consultant assistance, annual performance evaluation, and portfolio performance analytics for internal and external portfolios.
Benchmark and Account/Composite Management
- Liaise with investment management staff, executive management, and Board Benchmark advisor(s) to facilitate requests for new or modified benchmarks.
- Participate in the analysis, review, and approval of new and modified portfolio benchmarks.
- Setup and maintain approved standard and customized benchmarks via third-party benchmark providers, Eagle PACE, or other systems.
- Define and establish processes and controls to manage benchmarks and identify and manage exceptions.
- Execute daily/monthly/quarterly benchmark processes, responsible for the data gathering, entry, and production of benchmark information.
- Assist with benchmark consultant activities pertaining to ongoing benchmark performance reporting.
Reporting and Information Access Management
- Own and maintain the preliminary and final performance, benchmark reporting requirements, and information access permissioning to such data.
- Liaise with senior management to establish standard executive and board reporting requirements.
- Work with Data Management and Reporting team to automate and validate production report requirements are accurate and end-user acceptance testing is completed.
- Organize and package ad hoc analysis and recommendation materials for the Executive Director and Benchmark & Performance Committee.
- Participate in the preparation of performance and asset information for Annual Reporting.
The ideal candidate:
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- 2 to 5 years of experience working in performance measurement operations.
- Experience or knowledge in calculating or interpreting performance reporting, including performance evaluations, universe comparisons, and performance attribution.
- Experience or knowledge in preparing and presenting performance results.
- Experience or knowledge in interacting with internal and external investment staff regarding performance measurement.
- Experience or knowledge in interacting with accounting operations, custodians, and IT staff, and systems regarding performance measurement.
- Strong problem-solving skills, understanding of requisite performance-related mathematical and quantitative techniques.
- Understanding of industry-standard performance measurement and benchmarking practices and calculations, including working knowledge of GIPS. CIPM preferred.
- Understanding of analytical tools, including spreadsheets, accounting, and performance measurement systems such as PACE Eagle, Aladdin, Factset, and SimCorp.
- Experience or knowledge in working with Excel VBA and SQL, including large sets of data.
- Competitive McLagan-based total cash compensation
- A comprehensive benefit package
- Educational and training opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Challenging work in a professional environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.