Portfolio Implementation Specialist
Portfolio Implementation Specialist – Institutional Portfolio Management
Calgary, AB or Toronto, ON
Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit for excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding; however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title and tenure.
We are looking for a Portfolio Implementation Specialist to join our Institutional Portfolio Management Team. This is an exciting opportunity to collaborate with our Institutional and Research teams to centralize the implementation of our investment strategies. You will play a meaningful role in operationalizing a new functional area within the firm along with a new investment management system to create efficiencies, manage risk, enhance the client experience; strengthen our culture; and help build Mawer into one of the best global investment management firms in the world.
- Portfolio implementation and modeling for client portfolios in accordance with Mawer’s North American, Global, and International investment strategies
- Construct segregated and custom Balanced portfolios relative to firm models in accordance with client investment policy ranges and constraints
- Create orders in the investment management system for model, rebalancing, and cash-flow trades to be executed by the trading desk
- Monitor trade flows for cash forecasting
- Monitor portfolios to minimize trading and rebalancing costs while maintaining appropriate issuer and asset class exposures
- Monitor portfolios to ensure compliance with client Investment Policy Statements and the firm’s trading policies and procedures
- Work closely with traders to comply with best execution and fair allocation policies
- Manage portfolio risk by implementing strong internal controls
- Standardize and streamline portfolio management implementation workflows
- Act as a subject matter expert on portfolio construction, trade modeling, and order generation in the investment management system; contribute to the implementation of SimCorp investment management system
Education, Skills & Qualifications
- CFA designation
- Registered as an Advising Representative in Ontario and Alberta
- 10+ years of industry experience gained in portfolio management, preferably at a pension fund, insurance company, or asset management firm
- Passion for innovation, continuous improvement, and the pursuit of excellence
- Strong interpersonal skills; thrives in a collaborative team environment
- Strong track record of accuracy and effective risk management with respect to portfolio management and trading
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with trading and settling securities in international markets
- Advanced user of Charles River and/or SimCorp, Microsoft Excel (including VBA), and Bloomberg
- Experience in implementing investment management systems is an asset
- Experience in with portfolio management automation is desirable
- Knowledge of NI 81-102 and Canadian and U.S. pension regulations as they pertain to management of investment accounts
- Derivatives registration is an asset
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours as required
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager.
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results and the highest levels of client satisfaction (our client retention is 99%).
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy. At Mawer, talented individuals can progress quickly, regardless of tenure or experience.
- We offer the potential for ownership over time based on the firm’s selection criteria.
- We have a unique culture—one that emphasizes integrity, clients’ interests, excellence, teamwork, and long-term thinking.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides world-class, global investment management services across all major asset classes to a broad range of institutional and individual clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms and strive to earn such respect by continually delivering long-term investment excellence, developing strong client partnerships, and living our core values. Mawer currently manages approximately $78 billion in assets and employs over 200 people in Calgary, Toronto, the U.S., and Singapore.
Please submit your résumé and cover letter by April 26, 2021. Only applications that include all required materials will be considered.
No telephone inquiries please.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.