Trading and Portfolio Accounting Professional
7 days left
Grand-Jean Capital Management, Inc. (the “Firm”), founded in 1990, provides equity portfolio management primarily to individuals. Founder and President Steven Grand-Jean spent a 20-year career in investment banking with Salomon Brothers and Montgomery Securities, where he developed insights and management relationships across a wide variety of industries.
We are domestic equity investors with a bias toward long-term investing seeking superior returns without undue risk to capital. Our focus is on undervalued companies with strong management, strong free cash flow, and a shareholder orientation. Independent research, personal relationships with management teams and investment discipline have allowed us to generate superior investment results over the past 20 years.
Investment Strategy: Primarily U.S. equities. Long only. No leverage or derivatives
Investment Objective: Long-term growth of capital and capital preservation.
Diversification: Generally hold 15 to 25 stocks per portfolio with no more than a 5% concentration in any one security. These amounts may vary depending on the circumstances.
Research: Independent research focused on bottom-up company analysis.
Each client portfolio is managed separately. This allows us the flexibility to somewhat tailor each individual portfolio and to be as tax efficient as market conditions warrant. We have discretionary trading authority over accounts.
Steven Grand-Jean, President
Steven practiced corporate and securities law in Chicago from 1967-69. He then joined Salomon Brothers as an associate in investment banking, becoming a general partner in 1979 and a managing director in 1981. He specialized in mergers and debt and equity capital raising. He left Salomon Brothers and joined Montgomery Securities in 1988 where he served as a general partner in charge of mergers and acquisitions. Steven has a BA from Stanford University and an LLB from Harvard Law School.
Thomas Lloyd-Butler, Senior Vice President
Tom has 31 years of experience as a portfolio manager and research analyst in the investment business. He began his career as an equity analyst at Morgan Guaranty Trust Co., from 1982-1986 where he completed the bank’s management program. He joined Montgomery Securities in 1986 as a research analyst following technology and industrials. Subsequent to that, Tom was a partner at Gruber & McBaine from 1992-2002, a $1.5 billion hedge fund where he was one of three portfolio managers. In 2002, Tom started his own firm, TLB Capital Management, where he was a portfolio manager until 2010. Tom has a BA from the University of California at Berkeley
Job Summary & Functions
Grand-Jean Capital Management is in search of an individual to fill a trading and portfolio accounting position, where trades have to be executed and allocated across a central platform that manages over 200 separate accounts. Candidate must be proficient in online trading and portfolio accounting platforms, preferably those we work with which include PortfolioCenter and Redblack, as well as Excel and Bloomberg.
This is also a hybrid position. In addition to portfolio accounting and trading, the position encompasses analytical responsibilities involving fundamental investment research. In this aspect of the position, the candidate should be familiar with basic tools required for fundamental research to manage and monitor existing investments and source new investment opportunities. These tools include experience with basic accounting, fundamental research, competitive analysis and valuation analysis.
Regular tasks include:
- Portfolio monitoring and trading using RedBlack software, Excel, PortfolioCenter and the Schwab Investment Advisor platform. While trading is a sporadic event it is a very important part of the day- to- day Grand-Jean Capital Management business
- Stock analysis and idea monitoring via sell-side research, Excel, Bloomberg, and calls with management
- Performance tracking using PortfolioCenter, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Produce reports used in GIPS-compliant presentations using Excel, Word, and PortfolioCenter
A passion for this industry and strong desire to learn about and understand the Investment Advisory business.
- College degree with a record of accomplishment
- Knowledge of and experience with trading in the securities industry
- Experience using trading and rebalancing platforms
- Understanding of Financial and Accounting practices
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Computer literate with a high level of proficiency using Excel
- Experience using Bloomberg and Powerpoint a plus