Agriculture Product Analyst
Manulife Private Markets is a $112B investment platform, offering strategies in Private Equity, Private Credit, Real Estate, Infrastructure, Timber and Agriculture. Our success in private assets has been driven by a long-term focus, a risk-conscious investment philosophy and in-house sector expertise.
We look to innovate and be a global leader across private markets. We are committed to our clients’ success and have a long history of being responsible stewards of their capital across a diverse range of private assets, often investing in our private markets’ products alongside our clients.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG), founded in 1985, is a registered investment adviser and wholly owned subsidiary of John Hancock/Manulife Financial Corporation. HNRG is based in Boston, Massachusetts and is comprised of two core businesses; Hancock Timber Resource Group (HTRG) which develops and manages timberland investments and Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG) which develops and manages farmland investments. HNRG develops and manages diversified agricultural and timberland portfolios for a global client base. As of December 2020, HNRG assets under management totaled approximately $14 billion. These assets are located in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, and Brazil.
HNRG creates value through the sustainable management of natural resource investments. Through the five pillars of its Sustainability and Responsible Investing (SRI) platform (Ecosystem Resiliency, Watershed Protection, Climate Stability, People Empowerment, and Community Prosperity), HNRG integrates environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors throughout all aspects of its investment decision-making and property management. HRNG’s impacts in 2018 include managing 100% of its eligible timberland investments to third-party sustainability standards, planting over 46 million trees, sequestering over 2.1 million tons of CO2 from the atmosphere, and leading the effort to establish a third-party sustainability standard for agriculture.
The Agriculture Product Analyst is primarily responsible for support of all agriculture-related product development efforts including the development of new funds and strategies as well support of all business development efforts associated with current products. In this role, the analyst builds strong relationships throughout HNRG, including among the Client Account Management, Economic Research, Acquisitions, Resource Policy and Analysis, Accounting and Reporting teams, along with Manulife Marketing and Sales teams, and leverages these relationships to provide a high level of support and input. The analyst is highly organized, literate in agriculture, farmland, and in investment industry terminology; this individual is also quantitatively inclined, highly detail oriented, and possesses superior analytical, project management, writing, and communication skills. The analyst also has secondary duties to support other members of the Business Development, Client Account Management and Distribution Services/Investor Relations teams.
The candidate will report to the Managing Director, Business Development at HNRG and will work directly with the Managing Directors and Directors within HNRG’s Business Development and Distribution Services/Investor Relations, and Client Account Management teams.
The successful candidate’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with strategic capital raising and capital management initiatives as well as frequent ad hoc requests as needed. This includes assisting in all aspects of product development for new product offerings and in coordination of new and existing fund (product) launches and closings.
- Assisting in development of agricultural pitch book content, DDQs, teasers, RFPs, including coordinating research and analysis as needed to support product development and fundraising; also assisting in coordination of product legal document development, historical performance analysis and attribution, prospect follow-up and prospect database management.
- Researching and developing timely responses to questions and data requests forwarded by the Distribution Services/Investor Relations teams, Business Development and Client Account management team members, Manulife marketing and sales teams and/or external placement agent.
- Assisting in preparation of materials for prospect and client meetings, onsite due diligence, investor property tours, conferences and annual meetings in partnership with HNRG Distribution Services/Investor Relations teams, Client Account Management team and Private Markets team members.
- Updating and maintaining Salesforce CRM as needed, contributing to consultant database updates, maintaining opportunity tracking, running queries, and inputting client information.
- Maintaining comprehensive and current knowledge of all aspects of HNRG agricultural investment business
- Ensuring continuity and consistency of information among HNRG teams, Manulife Marketing and Sales teams and internal Business Development members.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in business, finance, and/or agricultural disciplines, with a preference for an MBA, CFA, CAIA or working towards one of these degrees/designations. Knowledge of real assets, but in particular, agriculture and private market investment management.
- A firm grasp of investment strategy and financial analysis and genuine interest in real assets and farmland/agriculture is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of discounted cash flow analysis; farmland management, crop prices and farmland values; understanding of securities and the analysis thereof; working knowledge of accounting, statistics and appraisals
- Strong analytical skills with ability to manage and manipulate data, including familiarity with investment performance measurement and attribution.
- Excellent written communications skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills commensurate with prioritizing, managing and completing multiple projects and deadlines concurrently. Detail oriented and creative.
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative.
- Energy, enthusiasm, optimism, strong work ethic.
- Sensitive and tactful handling of confidential information.
- Flexible work attitude; rearranging priorities as required. Travel on occasion.
- This position could involve obtaining Series 7 and Series 63 licensing
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to employ, train, promote and compensate individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability without regard to race, color, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran or marital status.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of September 30, 2020, we had $1.3 trillion (US$943 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.2 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Please apply directly to this link: https://manulife.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/MFCJH_AdminJobs/job/Boston-Massachusetts/Agriculture-Product-Analyst_JobReq0423222