Trader Analyst or Senior Trader Analyst
Did you know?
The Bank of Canada has established an alternate site for Bank operations in downtown Calgary. The Calgary Operational Site (COS) and Head Office (in Ottawa) share responsibility for day-to-day market and banking operations. By having two groups in separate geographic locations work together every day, we improve our ability to continue our operations seamlessly. Approximately 85 employees now work out of the COS.
What you will do
The Financial Markets Department (FMD) is currently seeking a Trader Analyst or Senior Trader Analyst for their trading room in for the Foreign Reserves Management (FRM) group in Calgary.
The Exchange Fund Account (EFA) is the largest component of Canada’s official international reserves. The EFA primarily consists of liquid foreign currency assets (fixed income securities and deposits) which are funded by Government of Canada foreign currency liabilities. The FRM team manages EFA assets and the foreign currency liabilities in accordance with the Currency Act, the Financial Administration Act, and formal investment guidelines established by the Department of Finance and the Bank of Canada. Instruments transacted by FRM traders include deposits, repos, other money market assets, bonds, and cross-currency interest rate swaps. The team is also directly involved in the issuance of new public or private foreign currency debt for the Government of Canada.
As an FRM trader you will transact in foreign currency fixed income markets. You will provide policy advice on activities related to FRM’s functions and participate in the department’s briefing process by describing market developments and assessing the impact for policy-makers, both orally and in writing.
You will be required to deepen your understanding of financial markets, develop a strong understanding of the Bank’s role as fiscal agent to the Government of Canada, and foreign reserve management practices, develop and maintain internal and external relationships, and report on financial market activity. You will work closely with your colleagues in Ottawa and Calgary, travelling as necessary, and must demonstrate an interest in professional development which includes cross training in different FMD market operations.
What you need to succeed
- knowledge of portfolio management theory and fixed income investment strategies
- knowledge of international government bond and money markets
- knowledge of central banking and foreign reserves management
- ability to communicate clearly, accurately and concisely with internal and external contacts
- ability to multi-task and to maintain accuracy and speed under pressure
- strong writing and presentation skills and able to adapt style and content to the target audience
- strong team player mindset, contributing to team objectives by sharing ideas, knowledge and feedback
- strong analytical skills, bringing a wide range of considerations and perspectives to issues and identifying ways to improve on previous efforts
- commitment to learning and self-development, as well as the capacity to continuously seek to build on knowledge of portfolio-management practices and financial markets
- ability to maintain high ethical and professional standards in all areas of responsibility
- ability to learn and use analytic and information tools such as Bloomberg, Reuters, spreadsheets and straight-through processing systems
- prior trading floor/market experience in a financial institution
- familiarity with the Canadian financial system and central banking
- completion of, or enrolment in, the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program or similar programs
- experience in policy analysis
- strong quantitative background
Your education and experience
The position requires a master’s degree in finance or economics with a minimum of three years of relevant work experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Secret
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and further to public health guidelines, preventative measures are being taken to ensure health and safety during the recruitment process. All interviews are conducted virtually.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career. For more information on key benefits please visit A great deal to consider.
Senior Trader Analyst
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $94,700 to $118,300 (job grade 17)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
Candidates whose experience and/or educational background may not be at the level being recruited for will be considered for a position within the accelerated progression stream program. The accelerated progression stream is for economists and financial sector specialists and is defined by four levels P1 to P4. In this program the employees acquire the skills over a number of years to reach the working level of a Senior Trader Analyst at the job grade 17.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $79,100 to $94,700 (job grade P3-P4).
- During the progression, you are not eligible for performance pay. Instead performance is rewarded via a faster rate of progression through the salary range.
Additional benefit information:
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension plan
We strive to make our policies, programs and workplace more inclusive, respectful and barrier-free. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples, veterans, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.