Fixed Income Analyst
Thornburg Investment Management is a privately owned global investment firm offering a range of solutions for investors around the world. Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Santa Fe, NM, we manage U.S. mutual funds, separate accounts for high-net-worth investors and institutional accounts, and UCITS funds for non-U.S. investors.
At Thornburg, it’s more than what we do; it’s how we do it. A flexible perspective built on collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas, an unconventional approach to portfolio construction, and a reputation of integrity are important aspects of how we do business. Far from the groupthink of Wall Street, Thornburg is positioned to offer a different point of view and a broader frame of reference in our global search for relative value opportunities.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
Your research and recommendations will have a meaningful impact on client outcomes and firm success. Analysts at Thornburg are expected to investigate and provide fundamental analysis for new and existing positions, leading to well-formulated theses and recommendations to portfolio teams. Analysts are also responsible for ongoing monitoring of information which may impact the value of investments, and for proactively communicating key insights and conclusions to all team members through written and oral communications. Analysts are expected to contribute to the success of all Thornburg investment strategies, which requires the ability to identify investment opportunities across sectors, geographies, and investment styles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This position will assist with management of municipal bond funds and separate accounts
- Help maintain database of portfolios and securities and credit files, perform credit analysis on bonds in various sectors of municipal bond market, and assist in selection, purchase and sale of municipal bonds
- Factors to be considered toward the execution of investment related responsibilities:
- Passion for investing and intellectual curiosity, both broad and specific
- Strength of analytical skills including financial, accounting and ESG knowledge
- Quality and depth of analysis of potential or current investments
- Responsiveness to new information which could impact investments
- Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas through written and oral means
- Level and differentiation of investments insight delivered
- Demonstration of flexibility required by the global generalist process
- Willingness to express an opinion and make recommendations with imperfect or incomplete information, as supported by a synthesis of available facts
- Willingness to change opinions as facts change or new information is obtained
- Willingness to admit mistakes and learn from them
- Performance of individual security analysis
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND FORMAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Advanced degree and/or progress toward CFA is preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting
- 5+ years prior work experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Proficient communication and public speaking skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Analysts are expected to collaborate effectively with all Thornburg employees. Collaboration means the free sharing of ideas, information, and insights which will drive better decisions. It also means support of other team members to reinforce the culture of collaboration and sharing of best practices in order to continuously improve Thornburg and drive better outcomes for our clients.
- Factors to be considered toward the contribution to success of the investment team and firm:
- Demonstrated respect of all employees
- Ability and willingness to share thoughts with the broad team
- Willingness to engage in the process – comfortable giving/receiving feedback
- Ability to respectfully debate ideas
- Support of other team members
- Desire to win as a team more than as an individual
- Committed to improving the Thornburg investment process
- Willingness to engage across departments
- Positive role model focused on driving outcomes for clients
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to travel occasionally
Santa Fe is the capital of New Mexico. Founded in 1610 and nicknamed "The City Different," Santa Fe captures hearts and minds with its museums, restaurants, theater, opera, and adobe-style architecture. With an average of over 300 sunny days per year and picturesque landscape, it's no wonder that outdoor activities such as skiing and hiking in "The Land of Enchantment" attract visitors from around the world.
Thornburg believes that diversity and inclusivity are vital to positive long-term success for our strategies and the firm's broader business outcomes. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. The firm provides annual progress reports to the investment management team, shareholders, and executive management to highlight multiple diversity and inclusivity metrics and continually work to bring awareness to the importance of this issue.