Retirement – Chief Investment Officer, Deputy
Tacoma, the City of Destiny, has a workforce of dedicated, talented employees with unique skills and perspectives. We embrace innovation and strive for excellence and community engagement. Those who call Tacoma home have access to a diverse population, affordable housing, and a gateway to Puget Sound, Mount Rainier National Park, and the Olympic Peninsula.
The City of Tacoma’s Retirement Department is seeking a Deputy Chief Investment Officer (DCIO) to assist in the oversight of the $1.9 billion investment portfolio of the Tacoma Employees’ Retirement System (TERS). These funds support current and future defined benefit pension payments to the System’s approximately 6,000 active, deferred and retired members.
The DCIO will assist in establishing and implementing the Plan’s strategic investment policy and will act on directives from the Retirement Director/Chief Investment Officer and the System’s Board of Administration. Applicants must have broad asset class investment knowledge, as well as portfolio construction experience.
- Perform ongoing due diligence for existing investment mandates, including performance reviews and online, in-person and onsite meetings as needed
- Periodically implement asset class rebalancing actions and meet private asset capital calls
- Raise cash as directed to meet required pension benefit payments
- Gather and review SOC1 internal control reports and bridge letters for existing external asset managers
- Draft and present investment summaries at the System’s monthly Board meetings
- Coordinate new mandate searches as instructed, coordinating the Request for Information process in collaboration with the Plan’s investment consultant
- Interpret and incorporate Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) directives into the investment portfolio as directed by the TERS Board of Administration
The City of Tacoma offers a generous program of employee benefits:
- Outstanding working conditions and an exceptional quality-of-life environment
- Medical coverage for eligible employees, spouses/domestic partners and dependents, including children up to age 26
- Vision care with VSP for employees and eligible dependents enrolled in the Regence PPO medical plan with vision benefits
- Dental coverage for eligible employees and their elected dependents, including dependent children up to the age of 26
- Deferred compensation allowing tax-deferred savings as authorized under Section 457 of the IRS Code
- Personal time off
- Paid holidays
- A great pension plan
For more information on the City of Tacoma's benefit package feel free to explore City of Tacoma Benefits or click on the benefits tab above.
City of Tacoma Recruitment
One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting and four (4) years of professional investment portfolio management experience.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) preferred
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation preferred, or demonstrable progress towards these certifications
The Ideal Candidate will have prior experience in the following fields:
- Investment management
- Manager research
- Public pension plan administration
Understanding of public pension plan actuarial concepts.Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume, cover letter and attachment with answers to the supplemental questions. Please describe your experience, training, and expertise as it relates to the responsibilities of this position. Applications received without the required resume, cover letter and supplemental questionnaire responses will not progress in the selection process.Agency City of Tacoma Address Human Resources Department
Please note: responses to the three supplemental questions should not exceed two (2) type written pages, using an 11 point, century gothic font and added as an attachment to your application.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or neogov.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 by 4:00 PM (PST) of the closing date of the job announcement. This will allow us to assist you before the job announcement closes.
747 Market Street
Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764 Phone 253-591-5400 Website http://www.cityoftacoma.org