Investment Officer II, ESG Stewardship
3 days left
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Investment Officer II in the Corporate Governance (Sustainable Investment & Stewardship Strategies) Unit.
The Corporate Governance (Sustainable Investment & Stewardship Strategies) unit of the Investments Branch was established in 1978 to protect assets through good governance and operational accountability. The unit focuses on three primary strategies: sustainability-themed investment strategies across public and private markets; stewardship activities focused on public policy and corporate engagement, and proxy voting; and strategic relations management with CalSTRS members and partners. The CG/SISS unit also leads multiple efforts across the Investments Branch, including the Green Initiative Task Force, promoting environmental risk integration; the Committee on Responsible Investment, overseeing the fund’s adherence to its Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Risk Policy; and active participation on the Diversity Taskforce, promoting diversity in the financial markets.
Under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager, the Investment Officer II performs a variety of functions as part of the Stewardship Program, including supporting the development, implementation and evaluation of the Stewardship Program, provides oversight over the proxy voting process, and provides expertise relating to environmental, social and governance factors impacting investments and oversees the proxy voting activities. The Investment Officer II is responsible for performing a wide range of the complex duties, requiring a high degree of independence, confidentiality and discretionary judgment.
Responsibilities of the Investment Officer II include:
- Assisting SISS leadership in the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of the Stewardship Program and its priorities, which includes providing expertise on a wide variety of ESG considerations affecting the CalSTRS investment portfolio.
- Providing oversight of the proxy voting process and guiding the core proxy execution team, ensuring that proxies are voted in a timely manner while adhering to the CalSTRS proxy voting guidelines.
- Implementing activities that support the CG/SISS team strategy and business plan across its three primary areas of activity: Investment, Stewardship and Strategic Relations.
- Assisting in preparing correspondence with regulatory and legislative bodies and stakeholders in order to represent CalSTRS’ position on important issues that affect the Investment portfolio, CalSTRS Stewardship priorities and other strategic initiatives.
The Investment Officer II is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 10% of base salary.
An Investment Officer II who possesses a professional certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential.
- Undergraduate degree from and accredited institution
- CFA, CAIA, or other industry certification
- Knowledge of investment principles and trends across multi-asset classes, both public and private
- Knowledge of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues
- Experience with stakeholder engagement
- Experience working in stewardship, governance, or proxy voting
- Experience developing and implementing investment strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to research, analyze, and interpret information
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and professional working relationships
- Ability to successfully multi-task and re-direct job focus when needed
- Ability to research and analyze complex issues with strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize workload and ensure deadlines are met
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
- Ability to manage competing priorities and effectively prioritize workload to ensure all deadlines are met