Senior Analyst, Financial Planning & Analysis (12-18 month contract)
This is an exciting opportunity in finance with Global Container Terminals Inc. (“GCT”) based in Vancouver, BC. GCT, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (“OTPP”) (37.5%), IFM Investors (“IFM”) (37.5%), and British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (“BCI”) (25%), is the corporate parent of four marine terminal operations, two located at the Port of Vancouver and two located at the Port of New York and New Jersey. Our container handling facilities have a long and stable history, and expansion opportunities exist internally and externally in this dynamic segment of the marine transportation industry.
The Senior Analyst, Financial Planning & Analysis will support the treasury, financial planning and analysis, and corporate reporting functions for the organization ensuring data integrity, accuracy and completeness of all business and financial reports. This role will require a detailed understanding of the revenue and cost drivers and other key metrics of the business to ensure meaningful support of each of the operations in Vancouver and New York. The Senior Analyst will be a key support and financial link between the business units and GCT corporate.
The Senior Analyst, Financial Planning & Analysis will take an active financial role working very closely with the divisional operations, divisional finance groups and GCT corporate personal. The Senior Analyst will work with a small group of corporate finance and other executives at GCT’s corporate offices in downtown Vancouver, reporting to the Vice President, Finance.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in the following areas:
- Prepare weekly Treasury Dashboard including consolidated 13-week cash forecast.
- Support monitoring and management of cash balances.
- Support administration related to external debt and derivative transactions.
- Support activities relating to equipment financing including maintenance of capital lease database.
- Assist with maintenance of financial model and covenant reporting.
- Assist with preparation of Board materials.
- Other treasury activities as required.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Assist with preparation of consolidated quarterly forecasts and associated reporting.
- Support the preparation of GCT’s annual consolidated budget process and outputs.
- Support the preparation of GCT’s annual 5-year strategic plan update.
- Prepare other internal financial reports for management, the shareholders and the Board of Directors as required.
- Provide support for regular internal and external reporting.
- Support preparation of treasury related information for interim financial statements and year-end audit.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree, preferably supplemented with a CPA, MBA or CFA.
- Minimum 3-5 years of related work experience as a financial analyst in either industry or public practice (Big 4 experience in either Transaction Services/Infrastructure and Project Finance/Valuations, Modelling considered an asset).
- Demonstrated progression through an accounting, valuation or finance area (either in public practice or industry) with strong analytical ability and understanding of key financial drivers of businesses.
- Advanced excel modeling skills and experience.
- An in-depth understanding of various financial analysis tools, methods and technologies to support decision-making processes.
- Direct experience preparing financial plans, budgets and forecasts with related variance analysis an asset.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint.
- Keen analytical mind, able to take complex problems and situations, and present a written and verbal solution in an easy to understand manner.
- Strong communication skills, ability to interact with and persuasively present financial issues to all levels of management.
- Experience preparing materials for senior management an asset.
- Ability to deal with individuals and develop sound relationships with staff and stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Aptitude and enthusiasm for improving business and finance processes and making the best use of technology.
- Strongly analytical and adept at identifying trends and variances.
- Team player with the ability to maintain a positive work environment.
- Attention to detail with ability to “roll-up” the sleeves, while not losing sight of big picture.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously.