Director, Proxy Voting
DIRECTOR, PROXY VOTING
Since 1955, millions of investors in the United States and around the globe have relied on Federated Hermes, Inc. (NYSE: FHI) for world-class investment solutions. Federated Hermes has grown to become one of the nation's largest investment managers with $619 billion in assets under management. Federated Hermes is a global leader in active responsible investing with one of the largest engagement and stewardship teams in the world representing over $1 trillion in assets under advisement.
Federated Hermes believes that integrating environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into the investment process is key to delivering long-term sustainable wealth to its investors. The Responsible Investing Office (RIO) at Federated Hermes reports directly to the CEO and President of the Federated Advisory Companies and serves as a central hub of expertise in investment research, data analytics, active engagement, proxy voting and thought leadership in all areas of responsible investing. We are looking for a Head of Proxy Voting to manage Federated Hermes Proxy Voting Policy, which involves identifying areas for enhancement and presenting an evidence-based case for voting policy changes to the Proxy Voting Committee. This position works directly with the CIO of Equity and equity portfolio managers and analysts to educate and evaluate proxy matters which most contribute to long term shareholder value. The Head of Proxy Voting serves as a member of the Proxy Voting Management Group, which oversees all legal, compliance and administrative aspects of the proxy voting function.
Pittsburgh is one of the nation’s most livable cities with a strong economy; lower cost of living than cities of similar size; entrepreneurial spirit; sense of community; superior academics and top research universities; and, vibrant arts, food, cultural and professional sports scenes. Federated Hermes is a company that fosters a strong collaborative culture and recognizes the strength of individual contribution.
- Oversee the voting of all proxies by the Proxy Voting Operations Team including researching ballot questions, obtaining input from portfolio managers, obtaining approval from the Proxy Voting Committee, and keeping the necessary records to satisfy regulatory requirements.
- Directly engage with Federated investee companies with the dual goals of promoting good corporate governance practices and gaining an understanding of company circumstances that will help in future voting decisions.
- Collaborate with the EOS stewardship team at Federated Hermes on joint engagement meetings and proxy thought leadership.
- Plan, organize and lead regular Proxy Voting Committee meetings.
- Manage all vendor relationships with proxy service providers including Glass Lewis and ISS.
- Assist in the development of proprietary data analytics and proxy measurement.
- Respond to various stakeholder inquiries regarding proxy voting and provide supportive evidence.
- Monitor and report proxy voting trends with particular attention to environmental, social, and governance issues.
- Coordinate with Federated Hermes’ Legal Department the preparation and filing of SEC Form N-PX. Update as needed all proxy voting disclosures in public filings, such as mutual fund SAI’s and SEC Form ADV.
- Support the Responsible Investing Office through insights into proxy voting trends and outcomes.
- Advance Federated Hermes’ stewardship thought leadership by contributing original proxy research and content for publication.
- Bachelor degree required; Post graduate degree preferred;
- 7+ years professional experience in proxy voting and corporate governance. Experience working for a responsible investment manager or stewardship services preferred
- Working knowledge of the laws governing registered investment advisers and investment companies.
- Experience working for a responsible investment manager strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in data analysis, reporting and structuring clear communication frameworks
- Strong time management skills and ability to effectively work independently and part of a team.
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail, analytical ability, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral communication, public speaking, diplomacy and experience presenting research results.
- Ability to periodically travel between Federated Hermes offices and attend industry conferences.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and proxy service platforms including Glass Lewis and ISS
Federated Hermes, Inc. offers a competitive salary and benefits package along with a professional environment.
Only those candidates in whom we have an interest will be contacted.