The Investment Analyst position supports the Chief Investment Officer, Chief Impact Officer, Investment & Risk Committees, as well as our clients and internal client facing professionals. This position combines investment research, asset allocation, and portfolio/risk management skills, with a focus on fixed income and credit markets that spans traditional and alternative asset classes and impact-focused strategies. The Analyst is expected to source and diligence investment ideas, monitor existing portfolio investments, maintain domain expertise in fixed income and credit markets, build and maintain strong relationships within the industry, contribute to portfolio and risk management efforts, and work closely with Client Service colleagues and external clients.
Your Role and Responsibilities:
- Source and diligence value-added investment ideas which may be new to portfolios, or upgrades to existing investments, with a focus on fixed income and credit-oriented strategies within traditional, alternative, and impact arenas
- Conduct and complete searches and due diligence on a timely basis. Searches will include analyzing and forming opinions on both the quantitative and qualitative aspects of investment firms and identify the relevant investment opportunity and strategy. Searches and idea generation will come from identifying and utilizing the proper databases and analytical tools
- Build and maintain strong relationships with fund managers and Wetherby’s network of industry contacts
- Research and maintain a continuous understanding of relevant asset class dynamics and be a contributor to the firm’s asset allocation and capital market update process
- Develop a clear, understandable process for decision-making within fixed income and credit markets, supported by relevant and maintainable indicators
- Produce and maintain updated expected return estimates for fixed income and credit markets
- Monitor the current macroeconomic environment, near-term trends, and asset class metrics including fundamentals, valuation, sentiment and liquidity factors
- Provide formal firm-wide quarterly reviews of investment performance and attribution as well as macro-economic updates
- Participate in client meetings as requested
- Create internal investment communication and client-friendly investment-related publications as needed
- Participate in Investment Committee meetings as needed in support of specific conversation
More About You:
- Have at least 4 years of relevant experience in capital markets/spread products and in manager research/capital allocation, with a relevant industry network
- Demonstrate interest and/or experience in ESG and impact investing
- Display excellent organizational, analytical, critical thinking, communication and social skills, and take immediate ownership of your work
- Ability to work with others and resourcefulness in navigating an organization
- Possess a strong work ethic and are a standout colleague
- Exhibit intellectual curiosity
- Strong computing skills and the ability to parse, process, and analyze large data-sets
- Demonstrate proficiency of Microsoft Office suite (with an emphasis on Excel)
- Experience with Morningstar Direct, Bloomberg, Evestment is a plus
- Experience with programming languages, databases and tools, or knowledge of Python is a plus
- Higher degree, i.e. MBA or similar, or participation in CFA program is a plus
You will be joining a team that is dedicated to helping our clients achieve their goals by providing exceptional investment management and wealth planning services. Putting our clients first guides our decision-making and culture, and allows us to build long-term, caring and trusted relationships.
We love working in a professional yet relaxed working environment. We encourage openness, active listening, mutual respect, candor and integrity. We cultivate a diverse and inclusive work environment where we encourage a work/life balance through a generous PTO policy and flexible work hours. We enjoy each other's company at team and semi-annual firm wide outings.
Our Certified SF Green Business office space, fully equipped with standing desks, is close to BART, Muni and cable cars in San Francisco's Financial District.
Our Compensation and benefits:
We provide a competitive salary commensurate with your experience and skills and offer an annual bonus based on company and individual performance.
- Medical, dental, vision, EAP, and disability coverage, along with HSA and FSA options
- Healthcare Advocates services for you and your family
- Quarterly retirement plan profit-sharing contributions after one year of employment
- Educational reimbursement, including partial sponsorship of the CFP and CFA with manager approval
Wetherby Asset Management is a San Francisco-based wealth management firm founded in 1990. We are 100% privately-owned and currently have over 70 employees. Our minimum account size is $10 million and our assets under advisement total over $6.5 billion*. Wetherby provides services to individuals, families, and institutions. Wetherby was recognized as a B Corp Best for the World for Workers in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
Our firm aims to cultivate an inclusive environment and culture that fosters growth, collaboration and acceptance; where we celebrate the diverse voices and perspectives of our employees; and where employees feel empowered to bring their full, authentic selves. Our diversity drives us forward and helps us build deeper relationships with our clients and our community.
Wetherby is an equal opportunity employer. Wetherby prohibits discrimination against employees, applicants for employment, individuals providing services in the workplace pursuant to a contract, unpaid interns and volunteers based on their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, registered domestic partner status, military and veteran status, civil air patrol status, national origin, immigration status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions, and including medical conditions related to lactation) or medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics).
*As of 12/31/20