Venture Capital Associate
Venture Capital Associate
Team: Thin Air Capital
Location: Calgary, AB
We are writing a new narrative for Alberta and beyond. This narrative will first inspire entrepreneurs to call Calgary home, to build their impactful companies right here. This means more jobs, more thriving spaces and places, more kids seeing a future for themselves in the Prairies.
We then have the opportunity to put this innovation ecosystem on the global stage and present an example of how economies everywhere can prioritize social and environmental goals as much as fiscal ones, and Build What’s Next.
We are looking for an Associate to join our capital team. This is a challenging position offering immense opportunities for exposure to all aspects of venture capital investing.
As an Analyst you will be involved in all components of investment and portfolio management, including:
- Prospecting for new deals and helping to manage opportunity pipeline
- Due diligence on target opportunities including modelling, industry research, and company-specific analysis
- Preparation of investment committee submissions
- Documentation and deal structuring
- Monitoring and reporting on portfolio companies
- Valuation of portfolio companies
- Investor reporting and communications
- Execution of independent projects offering value to Thin Air Capital or its investees
As a key participant in building Thin Air Labs, we’ll ask you to participate in:
- Shape team, tools, and ceremonies to continually improve lean & agile execution
- Build the necessary conditions for continual improvement of software engineers.
- Monitor and report on the performance of the software delivery team and people
- Collaborate with key executive members of Thin Air Labs on team growth strategy.
- Passionate for technology and its impact on the world. You have an insatiable interest in new applications, trends and breaking developments.
- Street smart, with the right balance of optimism and common sense. You are practical and focus on tangible results.
- Strong interpersonal skills. You are able to connect with entrepreneurs and investors on behalf of Thin Air Capital and are keen to immerse yourself in Alberta’s venture and entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Independent, with limited need for supervision and self-driven to get tasks done
- Effective written and oral communication skills. This means knowing how to write professionally and speak persuasively.
- Strong organizational skills. You will need to juggle many projects and will be working with the entire investment team.
- Financial literacy and spreadsheet skills are necessary. More importantly, you should understand how to take raw data, create financial models and reports and convert data into actionable insights.
- 2 – 5 years of relevant work experience from venture capital, private equity or investment banking
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Thin Air Labs, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.