Director, Asset Liability Management (ALM), Treasury
Director, Asset Liability Management (ALM)
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ1371
Location: Alberta (occasional travel to Calgary or Edmonton may be required)
Paygrade: Under Review
Leader Name: VP, Treasury
As ATB’s next Director, Asset Liability Management (ALM) within the Treasury team, you are responsible for two critical functions: Funds Transfer Pricing (FTP) and Interest Rate Risk (IRR). Drawing on your extensive knowledge of the banking environment, risk concepts, financial instruments valuation, and market experience in fixed income and derivatives, you ensure that pricing and risk is aligned to the overall ATB strategy for the entire balance sheet of approx. $50B in assets and $50B in liabilities.
The Director, ALM’s accountabilities include:
- Communicating with stakeholders throughout the development and execution of FTP methodologies, and IRR measurement and reporting.
- Leading, mentoring and coaching ALM team members so as to ensure they deliver on expectations and requirements, and grow their skills and abilities in the ALM function.
- Keeping up to date with regulatory requirements and best practices on FTP and IRR management.
- Working with a team of treasury professionals in the development and execution of balance sheet management strategy and funding strategy.
- Representing the VP Treasury in approvals and pricing decisions on large transactions.
- Reviewing and approving pricing of custom deals through calculation of the financial risk and market return, as well as the impact to the overall balance sheet risk and profitability.
- Approving new products and structures in terms of the financial features and transfer pricing range.
- Setting the FTP curve daily based on ATB's funding cost, market rates, future funding risk, and overall ATB strategic overlay.
- Setting FTP methodology of all products on the balance sheet including loans, deposits, funding, equity, and investments.
- Setting FTP based on ATB's risk appetite and expected performance based on strategic planning, and ensuring the entire balance sheet pricing is aligned to overall ATB strategy.
- Approving NII and MVE exposure on a monthly basis, as prepared by the ALM team.
- Maintaining NII and MVE exposure within limits and time, and managing future potential risk.
- Approving reports, as prepared by the ALM team, to ATB’s regulators and external financial reporting requirements.
- A CFA or FRM professional designation is required
- 10+ years of progressive experience in the financial industry with strong preference in the areas financial markets or portfolio management in fixed income and fixed income derivatives
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Business, Finance or a related field
- Critical thinking and decision-making, so as to balance competing priorities and weigh outright accuracy vs. timeliness and usefulness of information
- A commitment to on-going, self-motivated learning to stay abreast of industry best practices
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, to educate and advise stakeholders at the most senior levels of the organization, as well as external vendors and industry practitioners
- Previous leadership experience is an asset
- Ability to work independently
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred. You can also find additional details about ATB Careers at our website. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you should require any accommodations.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
To learn more about ATB, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
We are also an equal opportunity employer. Find out more about what to expect when applying.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!
ATB is happy to know you’re interested in a career with us! Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram to get the inside scoop on what our team is up to.