Associate Portfolio Manager
7 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job Description: Associate Portfolio Manager
Lowe, Brockenbrough & Co. is an independent, employee-owned registered investment advisor managing approximately $3.5 billion in assets for high-net-worth individuals, foundations, endowments, and other institutions. Founded in 1970 on the principles of trust, transparency, collaboration, and exceptional service, our culture promotes teamwork, innovation, and successful client outcomes.
Our firm approaches every client relationship as a partnership, developing portfolio strategies uniquely designed for each client’s specific needs and circumstances. We endeavor to be a trusted and valued resource. Our firm has broad and deep experience, having managed client portfolios through multiple cycles over 50 years. Importantly, we are passionate about what we do and the purpose we serve for our clients.
Our firm is located in Richmond, Virginia, and currently has 26 employees.
Associate Portfolio Manager
Our firm is seeking a highly motivated investment professional with a strong work ethic to join our portfolio management team to work with our firm’s private wealth clients. The candidate will work closely with senior portfolio managers on all aspects of investment strategy, portfolio construction, and wealth management responsibilities, gaining valuable experience about the firm’s holistic approach with clients. We envision this role as having rapidly growing direct client responsibilities.
The position requires an individual who possesses strong interpersonal and analytical skills, and works effectively in a team-oriented, collaborative environment. This individual must be reliable, diligent, goal-oriented, and have strong organizational skills.
Portfolio Management and Investments
- Assist portfolio managers in the development of specific, tailored strategies to address each client’s or prospect’s unique objectives and considerations
- Understand clients’ financial goals and provide sound advice in helping achieve those goals. Critical to that effort is structuring appropriate portfolio asset allocations that contemplate investment objectives, risk tolerances, and investment horizons
- Analyze and formulate perspectives on asset allocation, portfolio construction, and strategy-specific investments to ensure that portfolios are aligned with clients’ wealth objectives and firm’s overarching strategy
- Participate in internal investment research and portfolio strategy meetings to keep apprised on market trends, macroeconomic factors, and the firm’s current investment outlook and strategy
- Contribute to growth of the client base through participation in prospect meetings and execution of the firm’s business development strategy
Relationship Management and Client Service
- Proactively and independently handle complex client inquiries as part of relationship management team
- Respond to client requests and proactively identify potential issues in the normal course of business. Help clients navigate through financial issues faced outside of portfolio management, while bringing clarity their overall financial situation
- Deliver exceptional client service through interactive client meetings and discussions, timely delivery of client communication and follow-up, as well as management and oversight of ad-hoc client tasks and projects
- Communicate with clients’ tax and legal professionals and assist clients with year-end activities (e.g. stock gifts, tax planning and preparation, etc.)
- Develop a strong foundational understanding of wealth management topics, including financial, estate, and income tax planning
- Collaborate with other members of the portfolio management and operation teams regarding investments in Lowe, Brockenbrough’s proprietary limited partnership structures and retirement plan advisory platform
- Strong interest in investment management, wealth management, and financial planning
- Exceptional analytical and financial skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to simplify difficult financial concepts to educate a less experienced audience
- Team player, self-starter, detail-oriented, proactive, high degree of autonomy
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to think critically and creatively
- High level of confidentiality and professionalism
- Desire and ability to work successfully in a small company environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or MBA in Business, Finance or Accounting
- Interest in or progress toward CFA or CFP designations
- Two to five years of experience in an investment environment is required
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Eligible for annual discretionary bonus compensation
- Profit-sharing retirement plan after one year
- Robust benefits program including health insurance and other coverages
Lowe, Brockenbrough is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to supporting and growing top talent representing diverse backgrounds and experiences. Lowe, Brockenbrough does not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class as established by law.