Manager, Investment Solutions & Shelf Management
Mackenzie Investments was founded in 1967 and is a leading investment management firm providing investment advisory and related services to retail and institutional clients. The company has $141.6 billion in assets under management, and as part of IGM (a subsidiary of the Power Financial Group of Companies), is the largest independent asset manager in Canada. We are committed to the financial success of investors, through their eyes.
Everything we do starts with the needs of investors, whether they are saving for a child’s postsecondary education, setting money aside for the future needs of a family member with a disability, or funding their own retirement. In fact, our focus is summed up in our Vision statement: We are committed to the financial success of investors, through their eyes.
Our growth and success are the direct result of our employees, and we strive to create a workplace supported by the following core values: Creativity and Innovation, Strong Decision Making, Collaboration, Courage, Honesty and Integrity, Confidence and Pride.
At Mackenzie Investments you can Build Your Career with Confidence by:
Changing the Game: We have a vision and a strategy that will challenge the way business in this industry is done and help Canadians be successful in the ways that mean the most to them.
Making a Smarter World: We believe in continuous learning, understanding what is most important and sharing the benefits of that knowledge.
Being Proud: As a part of our team you will do some of your best work, develop some of your most valuable skills and give back in ways that make a difference in the lives of Canadians.
Joining an Unstoppable Team: We build teams that look out for each other, ask the best of each other and deliver the finest work.
Learning and Growing: We offer an environment where you can indulge your curiosity to learn; getting the challenges and feedback you need to refine your skills and abilities.
Thriving in a Supportive Environment: We have created a workplace where your efforts and career are supported by your team and your leader.The Role
The Product department at Mackenzie Investments is currently accepting applications for a permanent position of Director, Product Development.
Reporting to the Director, Investment Solutions and Shelf Management, the successful applicant will be a key contributor on the team with core responsibilities related to developing the strategy and support of all investment solutions offered by Mackenzie which are not centered around a specific investment mandate. This role will also support the management of Mackenzie’s mutual fund product shelf by facilitating the screening of potential merger candidates and the execution of these mergers. The Investment Solutions and Shelf Management group is part of Mackenzie’s broader Product Development Team, and the Product Division.
- Responsible for the effective management of Mackenzie’s mutual fund product shelf (funds and series).
- Conducts annual screening of funds for merger opportunities, completes assessments of fund investment objectives and potential continuing funds and builds out the recommendations to senior management.
- Manages the execution and support of these merger projects working to minimize advisor disruption.
- Product manager for all investment solutions and product structures on Mackenzie's platform (including Systematic programs, Mackenzie GPS, U.S. dollar purchase options, corporate class funds, registered plans (including TFSA, RDSP, RESP, etc.), Flexible Payout Service, Group Plans, Charitable Giving Program, and One-Step DCA.
- Support Director, Investment Solutions and Shelf Management to conduct research and analytical work as it pertains to pre-determined projects.
- Serve as the primary relationship manager / “advocate” of these product structures and represent the Product Team on cross-functional teams touching these investment solutions.
- Provide product support for investment calculators such as T-Series calculator, Private Wealth Proposal Tool, etc.
- Independently monitor competitive market and regulatory developments which impact Mackenzie’s investment solutions and products structures, liaise and collaborate with other internal and external sources of influence / knowledge.
- Support Sales Team with ongoing support, knowledge and training for investment solutions.
- Surface best practices, opportunities for improvement and actively participate in discussions and initiatives to improve Mackenzie’s competitive position.
- Collaborate with Product, Marketing, Sales and Operations colleagues in driving the creation and review of all product promotion material for Investment Solutions.
The following qualifications are required of the successful candidate in addition to effectively collaborating with the broader Product Development Team, other members of the Product Division, and key stakeholders across the organization:
- Ability to apply analytical methods to facts and hypothesis to provide information in support decision making.
- Experienced in using different analytical tools to complete the required financial analysis.
- Apply sound judgment in constructing analysis and in formulating recommendations.
- Resourceful and creative in solving new/non-recurring problems through research and well supported analysis and business acumen.
Presentation and Communication Skills:
- Ability to create PowerPoint presentations with clear messaging, supported by sound analysis.
- Professional manner in dealing with both internal and external clients.
- Articulate in communicating with all levels of management.
- Ability to write and present concisely and persuasively.
Project Management Skills:
- Coordinate resources from across the company in large-scale projects.
- Timeline driven and consistently meeting deadlines.
- Comfortable with handling multiple concurring problems and priorities.
- Seen as a source of information and influence in industry and competitive research information, having an in-depth understanding of the industry and the global / domestic competitive landscape for retail, strategic alliance and institutional business lines.
- A university degree in a business or finance-related discipline.
- 3-5+ years of increasing experience in the area of financial analysis in a financial services environment (preferably in the investment / asset management industry) with experience in development of research methodology, competitive product and industry level research as well as experience in report-writing and in making presentations to senior management.
- Enrollment in the CFA program is an asset.
- Proficient with industry research platforms required to access comprehensive data and independent analysis on investment funds, e.g. Morningstar Direct, Simfund.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, e.g. PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Visio, Tableau and Outlook.
If you are interested in applying for this position please direct applications on-line using the “apply for this job” icon located at the bottom or to the left of the posting. If you would like to refer someone for the position please email the posting using the “email this job” option and have your referral indicate that they were referred by you when completing the application. All resumes should be received by March 1, 2021. If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Human Resources. Please record your extension number on your resume and cover letter. The Career Level Framework for this position is P7.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Mackenzie Investments; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mackenzie Investments offers an exciting and challenging work environment, a competitive base salary, performance-based bonuses, excellent benefits, recognition for your accomplishments, and opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Mackenzie Investments is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.