WINTER 2021 | LANSING GROUP
Job Description: Investment Analyst
The Lansing Group, LLC (“Lansing”) is looking for an Investment Analyst to join our
organization in Golden Valley, MN. Lansing is the family office of the Mortenson Family.
We serve M. A. Mortenson Companies, Inc. ("Companies") and its subsidiaries, including
Mortenson Construction (collectively "Mortenson"), as well as the Mortenson Family
Foundation (the "Foundation") and other private entities. At Lansing we are dedicated to
our core values of responsibility, integrity, stewardship, excellence, and equity. Lansing is
looking for an intellectually curious, highly confidential, and strategic thinker who is
motivated by generating positive impact through the deployment of investment capital.
In any given day, you may create and deliver a reporting dashboard to a Board of
Directors, perform quantitative risk analyses on potential investments, and meet with
potential investment partners to assess compatibility with Lansing's investment goals.
You will report directly to Lansing's Managing Director, and work closely with the
President, Chief Operating Officer, and the rest of the staff.
To be an exceptional family office dedicated to connecting client values and investment
The Investment Analyst will be an integral member of Lansing’s investment team. The
position will be responsible for operational projects, investment reporting, and
The Investment Analyst will coordinate workflow and manage relationships between the
investment team and several internal and external entities including Lansing’s Finance &
Accounting team, custodial bank, reporting and analytics vendors, and other stake
holders. The position will lead the design and production of reports to aid in the
implementation and evaluation of the investment program. Additionally, the Investment
Analyst will assist the investment team in all aspects of portfolio management, including
contributing to monitoring existing investments, sourcing and evaluating new
investments, portfolio reporting and asset allocation.
WINTER 2021 | LANSING GROUP
Operations and Reporting
• Manage external vendor relationships, including custodial bank, portfolio
management software provider, and various data sources.
• Reconcile investment accounting and performance data between investment
managers, custodial bank, and portfolio reporting system.
• Organize and maintain documents and contacts for existing and potential
• Work with finance and accounting, the Foundation, Mortenson Treasury, and other
parties to collect and report on cash movements and create forecasts.
• Collaborate with other Lansing staff to continually evaluate and improve processes
and systems that support the management of the portfolio, as well as creating and
maintaining an operations manual.
• Monitor and complete portfolio transactions including capital calls, distributions,
subscriptions, and redemptions.
• Desire to produce work of the highest quality and accuracy for the investment
department, investment committees, and board.
• Support the Investment team in all aspects of overseeing investment portfolios.
• Conduct analysis and create reports that illustrate investment activities, concepts,
and recommendations to a variety of stakeholders. Seek opportunities for data
visualization and match communication style to recipient needs.
• Work with the Managing Director on investment due diligence, selection, and
monitoring of investments including fund managers and co-investments.
• Oversee onboarding of new investment managers and partnership investments.
• Manage documentation including manager monitoring to ensure institutional
memory and support the annual audit.
• Participate in meetings and conference calls with existing and prospective managers
for monitoring and due diligence purposes.
• Conduct reference checks, review public filings, and review investment legal
documents with input from outside counsel/consultants to support manager
• Review and compile ESG and impact reports from investment managers, assist in
creating reporting on portfolio impact.
• Work with Foundation staff on mission-related investment due diligence and
WINTER 2021 | LANSING GROUP
Knowledge and Experience
• Strong alignment with Lansing’s core values: Responsibility, Integrity, Stewardship,
Excellence, Equity (RISE2).
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Excellent written communication skills and strong organizational skills.
• Undergraduate degree required.
• 3-5 years of prior work experience in investments, finance, or a related industry.
• Intellectual curiosity, flexible, and tolerant of ambiguity.
• Willingness and desire to conduct research and learn and understand various
markets and strategies.
• Proactive and self-directed. The ideal candidate should be able to plan and execute
work under minimal supervision.
• Ability to analyze portfolio data and understand impacts of performance, risk reports,
and measures (standard deviation, Sharpe ratio, alpha, and other statistical
• Solid financial modeling and Excel skills.
• Experience with Board and Committee governance/relationships a plus.
• Experience with investment information systems a plus.
This is a full-time position with a targeted Salary Range of $75,000-$85,000 with bonus
This is a typical office environment in which employees use office equipment like personal
computers, fax machines, copiers, telephones; stand or sit at a desk for long periods of time
(2-3) hours; may need to lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 25 lbs.); and
bend to file or retrieve documents. Occasional domestic and international travel is required.
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by February 12th, 2021.