The Financial Analyst will be based in the Calgary office working in the Treasury group, reporting directly to the Finance Manager. This position is responsible to provide financial and fundamental analysis to management to enable them to make sound operational business decisions. They will work closely with a cross departmental team to ensure accuracy, efficiency and integrity in the financial reporting of the operating assets. Other responsibilities will include assisting in the continued build-out and upkeep of Steel Reef’s fundamental’s platform which includes conducting area analyses, assessing oil and gas supply/demand trends and primary influences, evaluating micro and macro production growth outlooks as well as maintaining competitor analyses and a transaction metrics database. Support will also be provided to Sr. Analysts within the Treasury group.
- Assist with the monthly operational and executive reporting packages for the business, including detailed financial statements with high level analysis of results to prior periods, forecasts and budgets;
- Perform margin analysis and variance analysis;
- Provide monthly updates on capital spend and forecast. Ensure approved AFE documentation is in place for all capital asset additions and disposal;
- Assist in the preparation of asset level budgets and forecasts;
- Ensure compliance with the company’s accounting policies, procedures and internal controls and work with business unit staff to establish standard processes that comply with companywide standards;
- Maintain and assist in developing Financial & Operations KPI dashboards;
- Support asset level risk assessments and potential options to mitigate risk;
- Conduct studies and provide analysis to support acquisition and divestiture decisions;
- Develop financial models to assess economic investment decisions and the determination of pay out;
- Support Sr. Analysts with the ongoing build-out and upkeep of area analyses, competitor analyses, production growth outlooks, counterparty credit reviews and a historical transaction database;
- Track key industry statistics and information used to support fundamental analysis, acquisitions, business development initiatives, and corporate strategy;
- Review, summarize and provide timely updates on critical oil- and gas-related news flow to Steel Reef employees and the Executive Team.
Required Skills, Experience & Education:
- BComm or other relevant undergraduate degree;
- Professional accounting designation (CPA or equivalent) preferred;
- MBA or CFA designation is considered an asset;
- 5 years of related experience – preference to those with experience in the energy industry.
- Advanced financial analytics/modeling skills;
- A strong aptitude for quantitative and qualitative research and analysis;
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization;
- Strong team focus and initiative skills;
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal;
- Advanced MS Office skills, particularly Excel.
Steel Reef thanks all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.