Senior Consultant - Private Markets
About the Position
As a senior private markets consultant in Callan’s Alternatives Consulting group, you will provide senior leadership to the private markets consulting team and work collaboratively with Callan’s institutional clients and consultants to implement private markets portfolios, including private equity (venture/growth and buyouts), private credit, and natural resources. You will report to the head of the Alternatives Consulting group.
What's unique about this role?
Your primary focus will be leading client relationships and contributing to new business development. Your secondary focus will be manager research on private markets funds and presenting investment recommendations.
Duties and functions include, but are not limited to:
- Develop strategy to allocate across various private markets sectors based on the relative attractiveness of the opportunity set
- Employ a capital budget and cash flow model to guide future commitments
- Write appropriate investment policy statement language for the private markets asset class
- Present strategic recommendations to Callan clients
- Identify new business prospects and develop collateral for introductory meetings
- Represent Callan at industry conferences to promote the group’s visibility and establish connections with industry participants
- Review RFP submissions and assist with drafting language
- Proactively identify attractive fund investment opportunities and negotiate capacity for Callan clients
- Coordinate and lead manager meetings and post meeting notes to Callan’s internal database on a timely basis
- Develop a research coverage strategy (market map) to identify high-interest strategies for designated private markets sectors
Manager Due Diligence
- Collaborate with ACG team to conduct comprehensive due diligence on prospective fund investments
- Compile due diligence materials and review with internal Callan committees and clients
- Present fund investment recommendations to Callan clients
- Present an annual private markets program review to Callan’s clients
- Deliver performance measurement and qualitative monitoring reports to clients
- Assess the current market environment and industry trends to help guide private markets portfolio implementation
- Attend regular manager meetings, including Annual General Meetings (AGMs), and post summary notes to Callan’s internal database
Research and Education
- Deliver education presentations for Callan Institute webinars and presentations
- Contribute to topical research pertaining to private markets related topics of interest
Contribute Positively to Callan Corporate Culture
- Provide senior leadership within the Alternatives Consulting group to help guide the growth of the team and mentor younger team members
- Work constructively with colleagues in the group and across the broader organization
- Utilize Callan’s internal committees to ensure client recommendations and deliverables are of consistently high quality
- Assist with requests from Callan consultants, the Callan Institute, and the Published Research Group in a timely and efficacious manner
Over 10 years of demonstrated experience in private markets manager research, strategic planning, and portfolio construction, in an investment management or institutional advisory capacity, with an emphasis on leading client relationships. CFA and/or CAIA preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
Callan offers a generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical, tuition assistance, and more. Being employee-owned, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners in the firm.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $2 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S. Learn more about us at www.callan.com.
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Senior Private Markets Consultant” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Callan LLC is an equal opportunity employer.