The Controller, a key financial steward with high integrity, provides leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the accounting department has the proper controls, policies, processes, procedures, systems, and resources in place to produce timely financial information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. With six direct reports, this critical role has ownership for the general ledger and month-end close process, including all accounting cycles for CXI and its subsidiary, Exchange Bank of Canada (EBC). The successful candidate will achieve positive outcomes through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the values, and objectives of the company.
• Design, implement, and maintain a framework to monitor the effectiveness of the internal controls over financial reporting, enhancing controls as necessary to ensure a strong control environment.
• Implement policies and procedures to identify and mitigate financial risks.
• Develop, document, and update accounting policies to support internal and external reporting needs, applying
International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) where appropriate;
• In collaboration with other team members and external advisors, evaluate the impact of proposed, and prospective accounting standards on the entity’s accounting policies;
• Manage the annual audit and quarterly review processes to ensure that they are as efficient as possible, whilst managing the expectations of the auditors.
• Manages the stock option and appreciation rights plans to ensure that the activity is recorded and disclosed
• Support the preparation of annual and quarterly filings with the securities commission, including related disclosures and attestations.
• Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal tax regulations, engaging external advisors where appropriate.
• Maintain an organizational design structure that best supports the organizational objectives.
• Implement a performance management framework, with SMART objectives, coupled with metrics to inform the efficiency and effectiveness of people as well as processes.
• Cultivate an energetic and dedicated team, showcasing their strengths while working with each to create a tailored plan for long-term growth and development, enabled by the proper training and tools to support their goals.
• Keeps CFO promptly and fully formed of all problems or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action which may be taken.
• Collaborate cross-functionally on new initiatives, ensuring that the financial and accounting impact are properly assessed.