Structured Products Fixed Income Analyst
Making a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With almost $129 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, the 9th largest public pension fund in the U.S. and the 25th largest public or private pension fund in the world.
We are a mission-driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating respectable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB is recognized as a premier investment manager because of the highly qualified staff successfully managing the assets of the WRS trust funds. SWIB is committed to investing in talented professionals that will help implement a robust and sophisticated investment strategy to manage over half of the trust fund assets internally and keep the organization at the forefront of the investment industry. As an innovative organization, SWIB offers professional development opportunities to help staff sharpen and expand their skills. Approximately 61 percent of SWIB’s investment professionals are Charted Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholders.
About the Team
The Alternative Fixed Income Strategies group within SWIB manages fixed income, currency, and other assets using both quantitative and fundamental insights. Long-only assets managed by the team of four currently total over USD 6 billion, in addition to another USD 5 billion in long/short strategies.
With this Structured Products Fixed Income Analyst, the team seeks to increase the reach and depth of its investment capabilities by becoming more efficient in developing new strategies and managing existing strategies and risks. The analyst will be directly involved in building efficiencies through data analysis and take a leading role in building out data collection, verification, and storage.
We seek a quantitatively adept analyst to establish and manage data and analytics platforms for the investment team. The primary sector of focus will initially be structured products (MBS, ABS, CMBS, CLO.) A desire to expand into a more market-oriented role is a plus.
- Gather data for the development of investment strategies and trading signals. Data of interest will exist in several forms and will require different methods and techniques to obtain, prepare, and save for analysis. Data can come from established data providers, such as Bloomberg, or from lightly formatted or unformatted web page scrapes.
- Verify and store data as appropriate for analysis and/or streaming for real-time decision making.
- Assist in the analysis of the collected financial data to build market knowledge and expertise.
- Document and present research results.
- Prepare reports and presentations to monitor investment and trading strategies, including P/L, ex-post risk, etc.
- Work with other teams, e.g. operations and IT, as necessary to build capabilities including new investible security types.
- Specialized projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate:
- Advanced degree (e.g. masters or doctorate) in Quantitative field of study, e.g. Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science, or other related fields.
- Overall post-degree work experience of 1 to 3 years, which may include internships.
- Programming experience in Python and SQL. Knowledge and experience in Matlab, Q, and/or R helpful.
- Ability and experience analyzing data sets.
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team as well as dive into projects individually.
- Familiarity with Bloomberg, portfolio platforms, e.g. Aladdin, FactSet, etc.
- Team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills.
- Competitive McLagan-base salary
- Meaningful performance-based incentive compensation
- A comprehensive benefit package
- Educational and training opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Challenging work in a professional environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.