Analyst- Global Liquidity Planning
Northern Trust is a global trust and custody bank with significant presence in multiple regions globally. As a custody bank, the management of liquidity and other scarce financial resources is a key area of focus for Treasury.
Treasury is responsible for the measurement, coordination and oversight of the Corporation’s global liquidity position, including daily metrics and analysis, as well as all financial management and regulatory reporting.
As a member of the Global Liquidity Planning team, you will focus on regulatory reporting, management reporting, trend analysis and the management of collateral to support intraday liquidity needs.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
• Learning and eventually producing the current daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting and processes from current team members and over time look to automate, advance and integrate further controls and checks.
• Partner with business lines and operations teams to understand and articulate balance sheet movements that impact liquidity risk
• Work in close partnership with control functions such as Legal, Compliance, Liquidity Risk, Audit and Controllers to ensure appropriate governance and control infrastructure
• Maintain key intraday liquidity risk specific framework components, intraday reporting, intraday metrics and guidelines, and intraday stress testing requirements. Own the intraday assumption quantitative calibration process.
• Responsible for conducting ad hoc analysis to aid senior management and executive committees in the decision making process impacting liquidity, collateral management and intraday liquidity optimization efforts
• Provide support and participate as a member of the Borrow in Custody Working Group
• Maintain knowledge of global regulatory requirements and expectations that govern liquidity, collateral management and intraday liquidity processes
• Continually challenge and improve processes to increase efficiency on a long term basis
• Participate in efficiency and innovation projects on ad hoc basis by reviewing and developing current processes using advanced digitalization tools
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or other relevant areas of study
• Candidates should be analytically and technically sound with knowledge of financial markets and some knowledge of Liquidity Management. Knowledge of accounting and balance sheet, usually acquired through accounting/finance coursework or prior related experience, is required.
• Previous work experience within a Treasury department at a financial institution, regulatory agency or consulting firm is preferred but not required
• High degree of intellectual curiosity and an interest in developing a detailed understanding of liquidity management
• Understanding of a Custody Banking model a plus
• Self-motivated and detail orientated
• Consistently demonstrates clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
• Analytical skills are required to research, interpret and form conclusions from datasets
• Organizational skills are required to support more than one project or initiative while meeting regulatory and internal timelines.
• Proactive approach to accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to work well under pressure and with tight deadlines.
• Proficient user of MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
• Industry Knowledge is preferred
• Introductory modelling skills or relevant course work nice to have