Investment Officer – Shareholder Services
Job Class: Investment Officer
Working Title: Investment Officer - Shareholder Services
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 11/17/2020
Closing Date: Open until filled
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota State Board of Investment
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Yes - up to 20%
Salary Range: $132,859 - $188,338 /annually
Classified Status: Unclassified
Connect 700 Program Eligible: No
The SBI is responsible for the management of over $100 billion in assets from state and public employees invested in the defined benefit, defined contribution, and deferred compensation plans, non-retirement accounts, and state cash accounts. This position reports to the Director of Legal, Legislative Policies and Shareholder Services and will be responsible for coordinating SBI's domestic proxy voting responsibilities, internal proxy voting responsibilities and maintaining proxy voting policies and procedures. In addition, this position will be responsible for the following but not limited to:
- Coordinating and managing SBI Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) investment initiatives
- Assist in analyzing ESG investment risks and opportunities that may affect the SBI portfolio, including existing and prospective investments
- Assist in the production of ESG investment related reports as assigned, including regulatory, public policy and other investment-related industry trends
- Assist in ESG and corporate governance engagement, as assigned
- Participate and manage SBI’s relationships with ESG coalitions, as assigned
The successful candidate must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in this position:
- Training in the principles and practices of accounting, economics, quantitative analysis, and investment analysis and portfolio management. Considerable knowledge of capital markets, portfolio management practices and investment strategies.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both written and oral presentations.
- Ability to read, comprehend and synthesize extensive published research material concerning such technical disciplines as economics, quantitative modeling techniques, financial analysis and portfolio management.
- Proficiency with building and maintaining Excel spreadsheets, including financial models, data analysis and dashboards.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision; ability to work under tight deadlines and consistently produce accurate and timely information.
- Strives for personal growth, enjoys and seeks out challenges. Shows desire for maintaining sharpness of skill level. Has a strong sense of commitment to the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, or a related field.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience as an analyst, researcher, consultant or similar position within finance or investment setting.
- Intermediate-to-advanced skill level in Microsoft Excel.
- Successful completion, or enrollment in the program and continuous progress towards completion, of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program will be required of the successful applicant.
- More than five (5) years of experience as an analyst, researcher consultant or similar position within an institutional investment management or plan sponsor setting.
- At least two years of experience analyzing material environmental, social, and governance investment risk, including but not limited to risks associated with climate change, diversity and inclusion issues, and corporate governance
- At least two years of experience working with proxy voting rights, including but not limited to voting proxy ballots, researching and analyzing proxy ballot questions, working with proxy advisory services and platforms.
- Advanced degree, including MBA/CFA or progress towards degree/designation, is strongly preferred.
- Experience with use and application of investment-related analytical tools, including Bloomberg, Factset, eVestment and Morningstar.
It is the policy of the SBI that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past State employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Check
**The SBI will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.**
Why Work For Us
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Nicole Miner, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-284-7876.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.