Head of Traditional Investment Management
Mesirow is an independent, employee-owned firm founded in 1937. Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in 21 cities, we serve clients through a personal, custom approach to reaching financial goals and acting as a force for social good. With capabilities spanning Global Investment Management, Capital Markets & Investment Banking and Advisory Services (Retirement and Wealth), we invest in what matters: our clients, our communities and our workplace culture.
The individual in this role will lead traditional investment management at Mesirow and serve as a senior leader of the firm. In aggregate, the firm’s traditional investment management teams comprise approximately 55 professionals across five distinct portfolio management teams that manage approximately $10B in fixed income, equity and sustainable strategies and $90B in Currency assets.
The individual in this role will set the strategic direction, with key strategic responsibilities including evolving the firm’s investment capabilities, expanding the firm’s institutional client base both domestically and internationally creating value for our clients and driving AUM growth and profitability.
Reports directly to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
- Lead five traditional investment management teams with multiple strategies and varying combinations of investment vehicle formats: institutional separate accounts, collective investment trusts and/or mutual funds:
- Currency Management: Multiple strategies addressing global institutional investors’ need for passive and passive plus risk management, currency alpha and fiduciary FX
- Equity Management: Focus on small cap and small-mid cap investing for institutional investors; traditional equity strategies also offered with a sustainable equity focus
- High Yield: Team manages a High Yield CIT, a High Yield Fixed Income mutual fund and a Floating Rate Bank Loan fund
- Strategic Fixed Income team: Intermediate and core capabilities and an Enhanced Core Plus mutual fund
- Analytic Fixed Income team: Capabilities in core and long duration portfolios
- Assist in the P&L growth of these five traditional investment management businesses and position the firm within the institutional asset management marketplace
- Enhance collaboration between investment teams in order to leverage their collective capabilities and resources and increase the visibility of our traditional asset management business
- Enhance our traditional investment strategy lineup through both internal product development as well as potential acquisitions/lift-ins of outside investment teams and strategies
- Lead our Global Investment Management Distribution team in expanding our presence across distribution channels and enhancing penetration of institutional investment consultants
- Partner with Marketing and Information Technology on content, strategies and digital tools that will build awareness of Mesirow investment management, create a client-centric online experience and help attract, develop and retain high-value clients
- Cultivate an environment that supports diversity & inclusion and reflects the Mesirow culture and commitment to corporate responsibility
- Bachelor's Degree; advanced degree and/or CFA designation is highly preferred
- Seasoned leader with 20+ years of institutional asset management experience, including leadership of multiple investment teams and a proven track record of driving growth and AUM
- Deep understanding of the institutional asset management space, including deep familiarity with various distribution channels and institutional consultants
- Strong sense of urgency regarding business development and P&L growth
- Strong talent development skills and experience managing employees with varied job requirements
- Direct experience developing strategic priorities and holding teams accountable for performance
- Proven ability to successfully develop and grow new products and strategies
- Forward thinker who anticipates and responds proactively to changes in the competitive marketplace, client needs and market segments will create opportunities and/or challenges
- Unassailable personal and business integrity, with a record that reflects favorably on the company and professional stature that commands respect and credibility inside and outside the company.
- A dynamic leader; known for the ability to develop, motivate and build strong teams that achieve superior levels of performance
- A highly collaborative team player who demonstrates respect for others both externally and internally at all levels of the organization
- Personal drive, energy and ability to work efficiently and effectively in an entrepreneurial environment
- An executive who values and promotes a culture of accountability—both for herself/himself and for others
- Experience and demonstrated engagement in civic and community leadership and activities