Associate, Impact Investing
About the Position
Walton Enterprises is seeking a skilled, highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual with a creative mindset and superior analytical skills to join a small and nimble team that will explore and develop flexible, integrated capital approaches for a Walton family member who seeks to help move the world in a more equitable and sustainable direction.
What you will do
You will take an experimental, impact-first approach, seeking inspiration from a broad set of partners and crafting new models to catalyze positive societal change. As the second member of the investment team for this entity, you will contribute to analysis and structuring of innovative financing structures that seek to provide capital to underserved individuals and communities (e.g., women, people of color), to increase access to healthier, more sustainable, and equitably produced consumer products, and to pilot alternative models for investment and business operation that will help to democratize wealth. In thematic areas such as alternative meats and dairy, ethical fashion, local food / retail, and others, you will work closely with the Managing Director for this entity to identify and evaluate potential investments and other financial partnerships, structure diligence processes, contribute towards recommendations for a range of catalytic capital relationships with varying return profiles, monitor and assist portfolio companies and other types of investments, and help construct a diverse portfolio that contributes towards the Principal’s ultimate goals.
- Develop templates for a variety of financial models used in investment analysis
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of investment opportunities, including company / fund manager analysis, market and competitive analysis, analysis of investment merits and concerns, management benchmarking, evaluation of company and investment structure, and returns analysis
- Support execution by moving prioritized opportunities through a well-defined due diligence, decision-making and closing process, including drafting investment and partnership recommendations with organizational and financial analysis, co-presenting to the entity’s Principal, and coordinating with other third parties (external consultants, tax, accounting, legal, strategic communications) as needed
- Contribute to entity-level performance reporting and impact evaluation, tracking progress against key metrics and ensuring strategy, learning and evaluation reflections help refine the entity’s theory of change
- Help to manage junior capacity (i.e., 1 or more analysts shared with other entities in the office) as needed
- Maintain a flexible and open attitude to taking on additional tasks to support the portfolio
Over time, and as capacity permits, the Associate may also:
- Contribute to refining the theory of change for the portfolio by identifying key trends in relevant sectors and connecting the dots with relevant challenges, opportunities, and this entity’s unique value add
- Contribute to developing and prioritizing a pipeline of catalytic investments and other partnerships, based on their potential to generate financial and/or impact returns aligned with the Principal’s goals
- Provide input into portfolio structure and composition, for example by conducting in-depth research and analysis and identifying new / emerging approaches relevant to the entity’s overarching goals
- Help to build networks, identify aligned partners, and strengthen key relationships that can provide support, share expert insight, and help manage and scale the portfolio over time
Who we are looking for
- Bachelors’ degree in economics, finance, or a related field
- An MBA, CFA or other relevant advanced degree, or equivalent experience
- 4-8 years of professional experience, which could include time in the private, public, philanthropic or nonprofit sectors in the U.S. or internationally
- Strong analytical skills, including advanced aptitude with Microsoft Excel preferably gained through investment banking, venture capital, private equity and/or impact investing experience
- Ability to build and sensitize relevant financial models (Three-Statement, LBO, Credit, Cash Flow) based on relevant assumptions, and for specific investment opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong listening capabilities
- A creative mindset, high level of maturity, and sound judgement
- Capable of working in a team setting or independently with limited supervision
- Able to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and multi-task, with high attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability to a rapidly changing environment, openness to taking on new responsibilities
- Use of consistently good judgment and discretion in managing and protecting highly confidential information
- Interest and / or experience in early stage companies and organizations with creative social impact approaches
Personal attributes that will support your success
Success in this position will require a commitment to producing high quality work, with strong attention to detail and the highest standards for fact and error checking. The individual taking this role will need to possess superior analytical skills and have proven ability to be an effective team member. Belief in the importance of trust and relationships, a creative mindset, and having an entrepreneurial spirit with a high degree of intellectual curiosity are also of critical importance. The Associate should be comfortable being self-directed and decisive, maintain a capacity to give and receive feedback graciously, and be willing to roll up his/her sleeves and do whatever is needed to get the job done.
This is a great opportunity for someone seeking to advance in their career. The Associate will need to pursue unexpected ideas and opportunities with energy and enthusiasm, but be willing to take a patient approach, recognizing the societal changes and impact being sought by the fund’s Principal will take time. The ideal candidate will be someone who has completed an analyst program at an investment bank, investment fund, or the investment practice at a top-tier management consulting firm. Experience with impact investing, along with an interest in social and environmental justice, would also be helpful. In addition, it is important that the Associate be willing to invest his/her time, resources and relationships to help portfolio companies and partners meet their goals.
About Walton Enterprises
Walton Enterprises supports the personal, philanthropic and business activity for the Walton family. We are a family-led organization, supporting multiple generations of Sam & Helen Walton’s family.
Walton Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.