Investment Analyst - Consumer Discretionary
Primary Purpose of the Position
Perform fundamental analysis of the consumer discretionary sector to identify the key trends and the best-positioned companies. Conducts interviews of company personnel on all levels, their competitors, suppliers, etc., as well as industry experts and Wall Street analysts; and communicates recommendations within the firm.
1. Conducts primary research on companies and industry by researching, reading financial statements & market data, interviewing management team meetings and visiting companies in order to gain a deep understanding companies within the sector. This due diligence will help support an Analyst’s recommendations for buying/selling specific stocks.
2. Makes recommendations to Portfolio Managers to buy/sell specific stocks that the Analyst feels will positively impact the performance of the portfolio. This requires good judgment on the part of the Analyst.
3. Positions ideas and convinces Portfolio Managers to act on a recommendation to buy/sell a stock. This requires the Analyst to articulate to the Portfolio Manager the risk/reward payoff of the recommendation.
4. Effectively follows up with the Portfolio Manager once they have executed on a recommendation made by the Analyst. This requires the Analyst to provide constant feedback on all meaningful changes in the “story” of the stock to the Portfolio Manager to ensure they have adequate information to make future decisions on the stock.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience covering the consumer discretionary sector
- Academic excellence
- Passion for investing
- Knowledge of financial and biotech markets
- Level of maturity and judgment which gives confidence in stressful situations
- Competitive nature
- Strong interest in stocks
- Strong quantitative skills
- Strong writing skills