Securities Analyst, Fixed Income
Securities Analyst, Fixed Income
UnitedHealth Group businesses operate under regulatory licenses, which are governed by state insurance laws and federal and state banking regulations. Entities are required to maintain defined levels of capital to support the businesses. Investment management invests the capital of each entity within the context of investment policies, guidelines and regulatory limits. Each entity’s assets are allocated to optimize the risk/return profile of the overall portfolio. This is done by investing in a diversified manner across high-quality asset classes emphasizing fixed income securities. In addition, there are regulatory requirements for effectively identifying, quantifying, assessing, monitoring and reporting risk exposures. We are seeking to hire a securities analyst to support the management of the portfolio reporting to the Vice President, Investment Management.
Investment Management is a key organizational function whose stakeholders include the board of directors, senior management, regulators and credit rating agencies. The process of investing capital must meet regulatory requirements while at the same time balancing the desire for income to maximize the economic value of the portfolio and managing risk. This exciting investment management role is an immersion into the world of portfolio management, from an accounting, market, securities and entity level perspective.
The Securities Analyst, Fixed Income will contribute to the analysis, reporting, accounting and compliance monitoring of UnitedHealth Group’s investment portfolios, individual securities and regulated entities. The successful candidate will support the investment managers in market and securities research, income and gain/loss analysis, outside advisor oversight, synthesizing data and investment policy application. In addition, establish and/or maintain effective working relationships throughout the organization, both at the corporate level and within the businesses to ensure access to information required to optimally manage each entities investment portfolio.
- Be knowledge of all UnitedHealth Groups investment policies and guidelines and their applicability to relevant UHG entities, portfolios and outside advisors.
- Recognize and have a working knowledge of the different state codes governing the different entities.
- Understand the different mandates and investment strategies assigned to each entity.
- Lead security research using internal (e.g. PAM, Bloomberg, FactSet) and external (e.g. third-party research, outside advisors) sources. Identify and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the features of a bond that would materially affect its performance.
- Conduct portfolio analysis based on a variety of factors including UnitedHealth Group’s business strategy and developments, market conditions, issuer and credit rating concentrations
- Process overall market, economic and investment information/data from outside sources and apply it utilizing appropriate statistical techniques to identify and measure the potential risks to UHG’s investment portfolios and individual investments.
- Participate in and assist with the preparation of monthly and quarterly investment reports. Support investment managers and accountants in the preparation of GAAP and Statutory reporting with the potential of working with outside auditors and regulators.
- Update existing models and reports using internally approved methodologies and processes. Coordinate inputs from many sources while managing tight deadlines and priorities.
- Identify, propose and implement areas of improvement to creating efficiencies in both investment and accounting processes.
- Assist with the management of external vendor relationships, analytical models and related inquiries from internal and external sources.
- Provide research and decision support related to special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Math, Actuarial Science or significantly related field required.
- 3+ years’ experience in investment/security analysis, preferably in an asset management environment
- Experience with fixed income analysis
- Strong analytical (quantitative and qualitative) and problem-solving skills
- Strong ATTENTION TO DETAIL
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and time sensitive environment that blends the structure of monthly and quarterly reporting deadlines with the dynamics of a changing financial market and business conditions
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point and Word)
- Progress towards the CFA designation highly preferred
- MBA is a plus