Head of Quantitative Research
Head of Quantitative Research
Are you passionate about the financial markets, how they function and evolve, and where outsized investment returns are generated? Do you want to accelerate that research through Artificial Intelligence(AI)/Machine Learning (ML) technologies? Do you want to see your research and ideas applied in real-world scenarios?
The AlphaLayer team at AltaML is looking for a highly motivated Head of Quantitative Research to provide financial domain expertise, conduct and publish research, and support the development of alpha generation and risk management technologies. We are focused on building AI/ML solutions within the investment management space, including both front and back-office operations.
So if you have a passion and extensive knowledge of the financial markets, this is the rare opportunity to join a team on a mission to lead innovation and value-creation within the investment management industry.
About our Company:
AltaML is a fast-growing startup that focuses on applied Machine Learning (ML). We partner with industry to co-develop Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ML-powered products. We are experts in ML commercialization and help our industrial partners gain a competitive advantage by combining their data and domain expertise with our analytics and ML proficiency. Data informs our every move, and we aim to work quickly, collaboratively, and creatively. Sure, we are a tech company, so we offer a well-stocked kitchen including good coffee, sparkling water, and snacks. But we also offer Welcome Lunches, Friday Socials, hot sauce tastings and so much more!
Our work through AlphaLayer is specifically focused on deepening a strong partnership with AIMCo - one of Canada’s largest and most diversified institutional investment managers - we are helping our partner gain a competitive advantage by combining their data and domain expertise with our expertise in ML. We are focused on building ML solutions within the investment management space including both front and back-office operations.
Data informs our every move, and we aim to work quickly, collaboratively, and creatively.
As Head of Quantitative Research, you play a crucial role in leading the contribution and development of financial expertise on the AlphaLayer team. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure that financial research and theory underpin all of the core work that is being done by the team and the solutions being developed. During the process, you will participate in the entire development lifecycle, from concept to release. Additionally, you will also participate and lead brainstorming sessions to solve the challenging financial problems that come up in various stages of the development of applied alpha and risk management solutions. You will also be mentoring various members of the team and ensuring that they acquire the right skills in financial markets.
- Work with the team to develop quantitative models combining financial and economic theories, AI/ML techniques with empirical analysis and statistical testing.
- Help deliver high-quality research and solutions to evolving investment problems faced by investment firms.
- Drive the strategic development of alpha generation and risk management solutions at scale.
- Provide support on the work direction and review the work of the data science team.
- Work with external stakeholders to ensure value creation of developed solutions.
- Develop and publish innovative research for internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify and pitch new opportunities for the application of AI/ML in Finance and Investment Management.
- Provide financial mentorship to the team.
- Experience working with quantitative investment strategies.
- B.Comm or Masters/PhD degree in a quantitative field: Finance, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong communication abilities to explain and convey messages to the business about complex/technical issues.
- A significant level of mathematical and statistical knowledge and a passion for applying quantitative analysis to financial research.
- Strong research skills, preference for research applied to large financial data sets.
- Interest and knowledge in AI/ML.
- Bonus: exposure to trading at an institutional level.
- Bonus: experience with Python.
Who we are looking for:
Our core values speak volumes about who we are and how we work:
- Humble – Listen to the data
- Happy – Tap-dance to work
- Gritty – Be persistent, not complacent
- Agile – Make small bets, then iterate
Our current and future employees:
- express our core values
- are hungry for knowledge
- want to learn new skills
- are respectful
- collaborate with others across the whole company
- share knowledge with coworkers
- educate and promote AI and ML concepts both internally and externally
- have a high work ethic and are self-motivated
What we have to offer you:
You will be able to experience a Silicon Valley-like company culture. We nurture an environment that combines the nimbleness and can-do attitude of a successful start-up, but with the scale of a large investment management firm.
Your work will be applied to real-world problems and will have a high impact on our clients and Alberta’s economy. You will be working with extremely talented and passionate people who bring multiple years of industrial and academic experience in data science, software engineering, and machine learning fields. To solve the problems we apply various ML techniques from traditional Machine Learning and Data Mining algorithms, through to vision, Deep Learning, Information Extraction, advanced NLP and conversational agents.
We also have fun. We believe in working hard, getting the job done and enjoying a beer on Fridays. You’ll also get flexibility in where you work, what hours you work, how much vacation you take, and what you wear. We expect hard work but respect work/life balance.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. We’ll let you in on a secret - there is no such thing as a perfect candidate. AltaML is working with new technologies, and no one is standing still when it comes to learning. As long as you are continuing to push your growth and development, then consider applying even if you don’t check all the boxes on our posting.
So, however you identify and whatever background and experiences you bring, please apply if this is a role that would make you “tap dance to work” every day. We would love to add your biological uniqueness to our own! :-)
You will be required to undergo the following checks during the hiring process: