Senior Research Analyst
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ780
Location: [Calgary or Edmonton ]
Apply by: [September 19,2020
# Positions available: 
Leader Name: [Jaclyn Perrot]
As ATB’s next Senior Research Analyst, reporting to the Director of Research and Institutional Portfolio Management you will support the portfolio management function within ATB Wealth. In this role you will contribute to idea generation and due diligence related to new and existing sub-advisors across the ATBIM portfolio management platform inclusive of advisor services, high net worth and institutional investment management offerings. This role will be instrumental in creating and managing a database of sub-advisor mandates across a range of asset classes and market segments. The Senior Analyst will assist with other portfolio management research projects including monitoring emerging trends and products across the industry.
Under the direction of the Director, the Senior Analyst works closely with ATBIM portfolio managers, external sub-advisors, ATB Securities Inc., Marketing and Investment Fund Management to deliver positive outcomes for ATB Wealth's clients. This role will produce decision support for the portfolio management process, performs due diligence and monitoring functions related to external active and index sub-advisors and works on special projects, as required.
Senior Research Analyst Accountabilities:
- Advises on ATB Investment Management Inc. portfolio construction related to risk management, strategic asset allocation, global diversification and investment cost control
- Operates with a high level of ethics in adhering to, and suggesting improvements to, ATB Investment Management Inc. policies and procedures
- Contributes analysis and insights to the ongoing investment dialogue within Portfolio Management areas
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence in asking the right questions and providing an informed perspective that goes beyond bonds and stocks and helps the Investment committees fulfil their responsibilities to stakeholders and ultimately clients.
- Recommends changes to the sub advisor platform as needed by applying analysis and professional judgment to key inputs such as risk, return, investment time horizon, liquidity and relevant constraints
- Exemplifies ATB Investment Management Inc. behavioural beliefs related to discipline, ignoring noise, avoiding market timing and investing rather than speculating
- Collaborates with ATB Wealth areas of expertise and ATB partners on a regular basis.
- Communicate technical and complex subject matter in simple-to-understand terms with team members, managers, external partners, senior management, and executive management.Informal mentor among their peers, a role model for customer behaviors and a valued partner of their Director.
What you bring:
- Min 5 years of experience preferably working with institutional investors
- Relevant University degree
- CFA Charter
- Experience working with policies related to mutual fund management and/or discretionary portfolio management in the Institutional or UHNW segments
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience with sub-advisor screening, monitoring and oversight across a variety of asset classes
- Strong problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of behavioural finance and investment markets with exposure to portfolio construction and asset allocation principles
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, high-performance culture with a significant amount of independence
- An appetite for continuous learning and development
- Personally and fiercely accountable
- Commitment to exceed client expectations
- An interest in expanding emotional intelligence and gaining the confidence to recover from inevitable setbacks, self-regulate energy and perform despite change and ambiguity
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred. Please reach out if you require any accommodations.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
To learn more about atb, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!